ELECSA Certification Scheme Job for Elecsa assessment

Discuss Job for Elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alexknight0602

Got 2 questions if you guys/girls could help and advise
Supply is TNS
Job is supply to garage for power and lighting. Please don’t be thinking here we go again as I have read endless amounts of threads on here so I am fairly clued up. These are questions specific to this install.

Q1.
There is already power there in the form of a radial circuit, but it comes from a 4 way MEM fuse board and is spurred off a ring at the fuse so cant be used. Im not going to use this fuse board as no spare ways and there is a separate CU next to it, which is used for the shower. BUT I noticed that the earth sheath cable is connected to a nut and bolt (make shift MET) past this point it has been cut in the past and isn’t connected to the MEM fuse board. The earth that is connected to the fuse board is connected to the main water supply. Even though im not using this board should I fix with a new CPC? Does this mean I will have to test the whole board after? Picture attached to help.

Q2.
From what I have read so that I don’t have 2 RCD’s in series I should have a MCB the other side of the RCD on the board. I am not very familiar with different board layouts and to me it seems as if there is no main switch just an RCD and the MCB for the shower. Can this be moved along the bus bar and the MCB placed there? Again picture attached. CPC for this board is connected to the nut and bolt/MET.

Attachments

• P1040166.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1040192.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 52
Replace the MET for a start, but don't touch the other board. If you've not touched it, it's not your business.

What are you planning on running the garage supply in? Nothing to stop you putting the garage supply and shower on the same RCD

change that nut and bolt for a proper MET. fit a decent earth rod ( 2 x 5/8" screwed togehter ), and fit a 20A MCB next to the shower MCB. hen straight to your garage sockets , then a 5A FCU in garage for lights.

that's what the sockets will be for. to keep the hens nice and warm so they lay well.

Replace the MET for a start, but don't touch the other board. If you've not touched it, it's not your business.

What are you planning on running the garage supply in? Nothing to stop you putting the garage supply and shower on the same RCD

T&E from board through wall to IP65 adaptable box outside. (Only going to be 1 x 300W outside flood lamp and 2 double sockets.) Connect 10M run of 2.5mm SWA along outside of house in to new Garage CU. This is where my issue of 2 RCD's in series lies. From what i have read this cannot be done.

T&E from board through wall to IP65 adaptable box outside. (Only going to be 1 x 300W outside flood lamp and 2 double sockets.) Connect 10M run of 2.5mm SWA along outside of house in to new Garage CU. This is where my issue of 2 RCD's in series lies. From what i have read this cannot be done.

Ah, I see what you mean.

No, you can't run two in series, but you can have a non-RCD board in the garage and use the RCD protection currently in place on the shower board.

change that nut and bolt for a proper MET. fit a decent earth rod ( 2 x 5/8" screwed togehter ), and fit a 20A MCB next to the shower MCB. hen straight to your garage sockets , then a 5A FCU in garage for lights.

Will one of the cores and SWA metal not be adequate CPC/earthing?
So dont bother with a separate garage CU as it is just on the house CU with the shower?

Mate, have you got the following
The required books Y/N?
Insurance Y/N?
2 jobs to show Y/N
The fee Y/N

If you answered Y to all four it doesn't matter, you're in. Stop worrying :)

Run T&E outside from adaptable box to garage? Thought the cable should have some mechanical protection?

Mechanical protection not necesarily required, just good practice, but don't run normal T+E ourside...

What I meant was run outside in properly terminated SWA and just step down to the T+E when you get inside.

can everybody just hold their horses please...
and whats wrong with the nut & bolt arrangement....?
where does it say its not allowed?
does/is it capable of performing its function?....i put cash on it that it is....

can everybody just hold their horses please...
and whats wrong with the nut & bolt arrangement....?
where does it say its not allowed?
does/is it capable of performing its function?....i put cash on it that it is....

Was tight as a ducks behind so no worries about loose connections! Thats £1.50 saved on a MET!

Reply to Job for Elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net