Discuss Job interviews in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brynmor

Hi, can anyone give me an idea of what questions are asked at job interviews for a domestic or commercial electrician and what answer you'd give or expect? much appreciated, Bryn

What's your qualifications, Where have you worked previously, Can you supply 2 contacts who know you and know what your work is like, do you have your own transport, what would you want per hour to join the team, can you work under others and be part of a team, can you test and certify installations, what do you like to do out of hours regarding hobbies etc, and more I suspect.

Sometimes they may ask about job scenario's if they do just be careful with your answer it may not be as obvious as you think.One classic I remember was an interview for a local firm and the boss asked me " if you were installing a load of 18 Kw 3 phase what cable would you use" I paused and he decided to put a bit of pressure on "give you a clue it's 6Kw per phase", I replied "it depends on length of run and a number of other factors,but I thought you wanted a spark,you have people here to design installs". I must have given him the answer he was looking for because I got the job.Always try and know a little about the company,and never mention anything that you may not want to work at,I was at one interview and got asked if I had done anything else besides electrics and made the mistake of telling him that I had done plumbing and been to night school for mechanics as well.I ended up being sent out to instal electric showers,which I hate and being responsible for the maintenance of the 2 vans and the bosses cars,all for the same wage as the other 3 sparks,needless to say that job didn't last long.

Be prepared to say why you will be of benefit to the company.
Think about some mistakes you have made and what you learnt from them, they may ask questions based on this.
Don't say no. If asked about your experiance in an area you have no experiance say this is an area you would like to gain more/some experience, assuming of course it is not an area you have spent your life avoiding.

Don't slag off previous empoyers, always think about a positive reason for leaving, e.g. They were not able to offer me any different experiance due to ..... and I wanted to broaden my skill set and knowledge.

Good luck

Reply to Job interviews in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net