Discuss Job Quote in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevyn

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just priced up a job and wanted to get sum feedback from you guys to see what you think.

Work to be done:
Change original consumer unit and encorporate seperate wylex boards for shower and ring ct into 17th ed board. issue test certificate for con/unit change (approx 8 cts).
Wire and fit 2x Corner PIR's and Corner Well Glass light fitting
Move outside light switch to other side of door.

I have priced material at about £200 and labour time at £200.

What kind of price would you be charging for this kind of work?

Cu change £350
If main bonds & tails need upgrading add £150 (depending of difficulty of cable run)
Moving switch £35.00
Light & pir's £120 (but not seen this is an educated guess)

Your too cheap no matter wher you are.

you are too cheap. Have you assessed the bonding? dont get caught out mate. This is a £600 quid job.

dont forget, you went to school for all those years, you have to replace your van when its buggered, you are responsible for the familys safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
dony think i would do it for that price,eic,full testing on all circuits and all the rest got to be looking at 2 days possibly for pukka job(guessing on time),dont sell yourself short what do you want to earn in a day?,should be earning a bit more than working 4 a firm i hope.

Much too cheap. you obviously have no idea of your overheads etc, I doubt you've been in business very long and at those rates you won't be in business very much longer.

I don't mean to be rude but apart from the fact that you have a business to run you also have to consider your worth, Did you spend all that time at college gaining qualifications to work for 2 days for £ 160.00 ( because after your overheads thats all you will earn) thats without the additional costs for materials you have;nt priced for.

I dont have much in the way of overheads at the moment but as it is known business is business. I have put the hourly rate up and was maybe thinking of putting a mark up on the materials of about 10%. I have to be competitive as the town where I live there is a big firm who like to steamroller over the little guys like me.

Large firms have large overheads, you can easily undercut them , yes add 15% to your material costs
and up the customer service . large firm op's don't really care about customer service ( in general )

Overheads are the killer and there can be alot of costs that go unnoticed by the unwary

Don't forget the cost of courses and lost time doing them, purchase of Regs and other necessary books, purchase and replacement of tools and equipment. Everything you do has a cost and needs to be covered if you are to make a living

When I was employing people doing jobs all over the country we used to do a spot check every few months and compare our quoted cost to actual cost to make sure our estimating was correct and we were making a profit. To provide the necessary training to comply with H&S was costing us about £1500 /yr/man before anything else and this all had to be costed into our rate

Reply to Job Quote in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net