Discuss Job to small to get a plaster out, what to use! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Inteificio

Hi,

Am moving a few sockets/switches on a job.
Much smaller than normal works I do so seems a waste to get a plaster out for a few mins work.

So what do you use to tidy up the plaster around sockets/switches.

I was thinking this, anyone used?

No Nonsense All Purpose Ready Mixed Filler 1kg | NoLinkingToThis

There is a chance I may have to chase one wall.

Will this stuff work for that too?
I appreciate this might cost a lot more than normal plaster, but only use a few tubs and will save getting a real plasterer in!

As mentioned before I'm an industrial guy, stuff like this is new to me! (however if work is available, who am I to turn it down!)

Dont see why not mate, if there's a large deep chase it may not work for it very easily may need to fill it pretty much all the way then wait for it to set to get a good finish otherwise u will notice when you put the filler in if you keep trying to put more in a hole that already has wet filler in it just dosent work too well! Just seems to splosh about and make a mess ha!

Most of the ready mixed stuff shrinks if it is put on too thick. You need to put a final thin skim on when it has dried. I tend to use the one coat plaster. I do have a tub of polyfiller in the van for the really little bits.

For small repair work I use Polycell plaster repair ready mix, about £12 for 2.5L. It can be used to fill in quite deep holes. Your supposed to use finishing plaster after but I find that you can get a good result from wetting your trowl to finish it off.

use the 1 coat as previously mentioned. wickes or b&q. but keep it away from damp when stored or you'll find it goes off quicker than you can trowel it on.

I use easi fill. Its very easy to use just build it up in stages and throw a final finish layer on it. Sands back very easily and doesn't shrink as much as others. They do one that sets hard in about 45 minutes

I used to patch small work in the same manner as a large wall,Bonding coat then finish plaster
A plumber ( yes I know we shouldn't praise them) gave me some of this filler on a recent job
Everbuild EVBONE05 - One Strike Filler 500ml

I used it,loved it and instantly bought myself a pot,only one word to describe it,"brilliant2.put it on as thick or thin as you will.finish it off the same as skimming plaster

Same here, one coat plaster for the bulk and if a very fine finish is required a final coat of coving adhesive; which I find is better than any fine filler. Bizarrely, I don't use the coving adhesive for coving these days as I find it's easier to 'gun it up' with a construction adhesive.

Hi,

Am moving a few sockets/switches on a job.
Much smaller than normal works I do so seems a waste to get a plaster out for a few mins work.

So what do you use to tidy up the plaster around sockets/switches.

I was thinking this, anyone used?

No Nonsense All Purpose Ready Mixed Filler 1kg | NoLinkingToThis

There is a chance I may have to chase one wall.

Will this stuff work for that too?
I appreciate this might cost a lot more than normal plaster, but only use a few tubs and will save getting a real plasterer in!

As mentioned before I'm an industrial guy, stuff like this is new to me! (however if work is available, who am I to turn it down!)

By the way, the No None sense stuff is bobbins. Takes ages to dry and never wants to stay put.

Buy a decent brand and you'll be fine.

Just a suggestion -
If you want a quick fill that has almost zero shrinkage and will fill any depth plus cure in 10 mins or so use 70% plasterboard adhesive with 30% cement. Mix to a thick consistency for deep fill and more liquid for minor surface damage. Can trowel as smoth as the smothest plaster. You jaust have to be quick if you are doing more than a small chase. It will also bond metal boxes into walls. Don't forget to wet the area to be filled first - helps with set time and adhesion.
Keep both in airtight containers and they will last in the back of the van for months.
Best thing about it - £15 will last you months of minor repairs.
Once you get used to it, you'll never go back.

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Just a suggestion -
If you want a quick fill that has almost zero shrinkage and will fill any depth plus cure in 10 mins or so use 70% plasterboard adhesive with 30% cement. Mix to a thick consistency for deep fill and more liquid for minor surface damage. Can trowel as smoth as the smothest plaster. You jaust have to be quick if you are doing more than a small chase. It will also bond metal boxes into walls. Don't forget to wet the area to be filled first - helps with set time and adhesion.
Keep both in airtight containers and they will last in the back of the van for months.
Best thing about it - £15 will last you months of minor repairs.
Once you get used to it, you'll never go back.
Very good advice. Plaster board adhesive is great for setting boxes into walls where the background is weak or the existing plaster dodgy. Never tried mixing it with cement to be honest but might give it a go!

Reply to Job to small to get a plaster out, what to use! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net