Job

Discuss Job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lofty84

Ive been asked if I can do the a very simple job for someone, all it is is to change the faceplates from plastic to chrome on the following

8 x double sockets
1 x single
5 x dimmer switches
1 x normal switch
5 x switched fused spurs
1 x aerial socket
1 x telephone

how much would you charge for that please?

Many thanks

Ive been asked if I can do the a very simple job for someone, all it is is to change the faceplates from plastic to chrome on the following

8 x double sockets
1 x single
5 x dimmer switches
1 x normal switch
5 x switched fused spurs
1 x aerial socket
1 x telephone

Many thanks

if its labour only £150 decent half days work

Only you know how long it will take you to do this work including all your testing. Only you know what your overheads and operating costs are

£150 is about right, but be careful as you may have to fit deeper back boxes on some fittings.

and damaged lugs could rear theit ugly heads.

£1265-56p!
As diditrain said, you know the job, your overheads, etc.
How can you honestly expect anyone else to tell you a price. These questions annoy me.

Just to change a front ????
Thats about £60-70 perhour ?????
Work for an oil sheik do you lol.

How long does it take to take off old front, strip back cables, untwist earths if twisted, re-sleeve earths , strip conductors, put new faceplates on, probably not long, but then if you allow for b***x such as, cables not long enough, broken lugs, and some of the new fuse spurs are a nightmare to fit in the backboxes especially the flat plate ones, I always go with £10 per point, for changing accesories, be it a socket front, lightswitch, or wall lights and changing normal pendants for fancy things from B&Q !!! no-ones ever told be its steep, even had a guy give me £20 just to replace a 6" pendant like for like said i was too cheap!!
best one i had was changing all the socket, switch and spur fronts in a big 5 bed 2 bath house, 97 front plates in total, @ £10 per point done over 2 days, and they supplied the accesories

8 x double sockets
1 x single
5 x dimmer switches
1 x normal switch
5 x switched fused spurs
1 x aerial socket
1 x telephone

Many thanks

I would charge my day rate and hope all goes well.

Bear in mind that you may also find that you have to connect fly leads to earth the metal accessories. You may also discover no rubber grommets fitted to installation boxes which will need rectifying too:thumbsup

As mentioned a very simple job can turn into a right ballache :(

Also, I think you should think about even if you complete the work ahead of schedule it won't leave you a great deal of time to move on to another job so in my opinion it has to be a day's work at the absolute minimum.

I was thinking Aussie dollars, sorry !!! My bad, works out just over 170 at 15 dollars per unit!! That's my excuse and sticking with it lol

Reply to Job in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock