Discuss Joined circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm currently working on some general improvements and fault rectifications on an unoccupied house, in my spare time. I've found that the living room ring and the kitchen radial are joined, so both remain live when one of the breakers is turned off. I've found the offending connection, problem is I can only disconnect it from the living room circuit as it joined to a socket. At the kitchen circuit end it must feed from a JB which is totally inaccessible, behind kitchen units. I've disconnected from the living room circuit, but obviously this has left live conductors from one circuit in an accessory from another circuit. I left it terminated into a wago connector and taped up, at least for now. I'm not happy with this at all, but can't see an immediate solution, any ideas?

put all 3 phase conductors in the DB on 1 20 amp mcb and it will become 1 circuit, you can always then think about rewiring to 2 circuits if the customer gives permission

I'm currently working on some general improvements and fault rectifications on an unoccupied house, in my spare time. I've found that the living room ring and the kitchen radial are joined, so both remain live when one of the breakers is turned off. I've found the offending connection, problem is I can only disconnect it from the living room circuit as it joined to a socket. At the kitchen circuit end it must feed from a JB which is totally inaccessible, behind kitchen units. I've disconnected from the living room circuit, but obviously this has left live conductors from one circuit in an accessory from another circuit. I left it terminated into a wago connector and taped up, at least for now. I'm not happy with this at all, but can't see an immediate solution, any ideas?
If you can get to it under the floorboards you could cut it and terminate it into a mf jb there and label what it is, not perfect but better than leaving it in the socket

Same as MDJ put it on one MCB, I had this last week in a house, found it when I was testing work I'd done, found that even with the RCD turned off an mcb on the unprotected side made an mcb live on the protected side

Thanks guys. Can get under it in the cellar but doesn't help in this situation I'm afraid. Might have to put it all on one 20a breaker then. :)

Rather than reducing to a 20 amp breaker
Incorporate the kitchen sockets into an extended ring by disconnecting the living room ring leg where the extension takes place,then put them all on one 32 amp mcb (if readings permit)

Incorporate the kitchen sockets into an extended ring by disconnecting the living room ring leg where the extension takes place,then put them all on one 32 amp mcb (if readings permit)

I had considered this, but it's a non-starter cos I can't get to the end of the kitchen radial without chasing. Kitchen has of course already been decorated. Prats.

What do you mean Des?

I am possibly reading the description incorrectly.but how I am picturing the set up and my thoughts

The kitchen loading considered,it would be better for there to be a 32 amp capacity by incorporating what he has in the kitchen into a ring which includes that kitchen
Even if sockets in parts of the rest of the original ring then become their own radial circuit,sort of swapping the problem from the kitchen where high loads need satisfying, to the rest of the house where low loads are not such a problem
As he stated though,it can't be done,whther I see the picture or have blurred vision lol

but don't forget to consider touch ( down) voltage, and penalty clauses.also for those of us who still work in yards, there's conversion tables.

That is good thinking
icon12.png

I have been scrummaging,(I meant rummaging ) around for answers,but I think I need lineout ( sorry again,I mean timeout) to get myself converted to the idea
icon6.png

Reply to Joined circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net