Discuss Joiners taking our jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tosh2057

My cuz is working on the largest ship In Uk history and as a spark he informs me that joiners out number sparks 3-1 getting paid the same to do a **** job on ladder/tray/etc how is this happening fukin sick of our trade getting ripped apart from 16 month so called skill techs milk man to spark in 16 month and now the North Sea is filling with house bashers wi no idea ! And now fekin joiners F U K IN DISGRACE!!!

I would appear this trade is doomed. Wonder how long it would take me to become a joiner. Bet there couses are longer then 5 weeks

My cuz is working on the largest ship In Uk history and as a spark he informs me that joiners out number sparks 3-1 getting paid the same to do a **** job on ladder/tray/etc how is this happening fukin sick of our trade getting ripped apart from 16 month so called skill techs milk man to spark in 16 month and now the North Sea is filling with house bashers wi no idea ! And now fekin joiners F U K IN DISGRACE!!!

Eh, ....Try 16 day's or 5 weeks. 16 Months and they will be well and truly over qualified these day's!! lol!!

kev kitchen havin a go at sparkyin....

nowt new there....

Unfortunately we have heard it all before and it wont change as long as Mr/Mrs Public arent aware that it should be a fully qualified electrical tradesperson doing the job and providing the appropriate paperwork! What they dont know about they wont worry about and the builder/kitchen fitter/plumber/tiler etc.... aint gonna be telling them!!

Now, whats this electrical safety register thingy meant to be doing ..........

My brother is a time served joiner and on one particular project I used him for installation of containment.

His work was as good as any electricians - particularly in one area where dado trunking had to be manually 'mitred' to out of square corners/walls.

The hand skills competence particular to joiners is easily transferable to containment installation so I don't agree that competence is an issue.

Whether joiners should be replacing electricians in the instance you describe, is of course another matter!

Back in my day, the big projects had containment gangs to install all the conduit, tray, ladders and such. These gangs used to travel the length and breadth of the country going from one big project to the next. Site electricians couldn't touch them for the amount these gangs could fabricate in a day, nore on the quality of the work they were installing. Worked virtually on the same rate as electricians too. Worth their weight in gold on the bigger projects. Those guys could run in multiple banks of conduit that were visually a work of art, each bend/set following exactly the same as those next to it...

Reply to Joiners taking our jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net