Discuss Joining 25mm SWA - two options? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thirst

-
Reaction score
I was having a debate with my spark today about methods of joining above ground 3 core (E,L,N) 25mm SWA cable. We need to move the consumer unit and with it the meter tails (fused to 80A). This requires an extension of the tails as it is not possible to completely re-run them.

He said that the best way to do this would be a galv adaptable box, terminate the SWA with external glands, add a 16mm flylead and join L and N with a DP service connector box contained within.

I noted I'd seen resin filled SWA connectors used in the past and whether despite being designed for outdoor use, they could be used in such a situation as this? I know his option is best (ease of access, mechanical protection etc) but I was just wondering whether in terms of regs using such a solution above ground would present a problem?

You can see one being used here for reference:

Is he talking about a 4x4 galv box then connecting the cables and running it on, should be fine as resin filled units are usually used for underground or areas affected by weather.

I cannot see a problem,other than from an aesthetic view-point. Just ensure the particular resin filled connector,is rated for exposure to UV. I do remember that some,had information in their MI,to the effect of being designed for underground use,and not happy in the sunshine.

Your spark's idea,may be the best option.

9"x 6" is about the minimum size of box to realistically joint 25mm. but this would make it a doddle:
Joining 25mm SWA - two options? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

don't laugh/i'm just looking for a few designs for my own. . £500 for something that's going to be burnt. sod that. i'm making my own. a few quid for some old timber from the scrap, bit of craft work, couple of handles off the bog door. money saved buys a good pi$$up for my family and mates.

The OP states "2 methods".....there are actually 3....i was lucky enough to view the third,at a rural property,where the joining was conducted,by ....and i kid you not...the conductors joined,by placing opposing ends in a 1" piece of 15mm copper tube,and hammering it flat....the armour was twisted and plaited,like a Korean manicurists hair,and the whole sorry article,was insulated,by sliding a 2 foot piece of 2" lay-flat water hose,over it and placing a jubilee clip,on each end.

Although it lay above the ground,someone had fitted the approved off-cut of roof cladding,over it,to provide an extra level of safety.

Marvellous...

The OP states "2 methods".....there are actually 3....i was lucky enough to view the third,at a rural property,where the joining was conducted,by ....and i kid you not...the conductors joined,by placing opposing ends in a 1" piece of 15mm copper tube,and hammering it flat....the armour was twisted and plaited,like a Korean manicurists hair,and the whole sorry article,was insulated,by sliding a 2 foot piece of 2" lay-flat water hose,over it and placing a jubilee clip,on each end.

Although it lay above the ground,someone had fitted the approved off-cut of roof cladding,over it,to provide an extra level of safety.

Marvellous...
it bloody worked though????

don't laugh/i'm just looking for a few designs for my own. . £500 for something that's going to be burnt. sod that. i'm making my own. a few quid for some old timber from the scrap, bit of craft work, couple of handles off the bog door. money saved buys a good pi$$up for my family and mates.

I like your style....me old ma said,she wants to be eaten by the crows,on a wooden platform,as the Hindus would have done....

Sounded like a long shot,but local authority,Trafford,are having such a performance,over just sorting our green waste bins......i think they may just let us crack on...:rolleyes:

Yep,the "joining" escapade,was one of those many occasions,where there is no point in doing other than a simple head shake. I told him,he was an eejit,he told me i was getting soft....

His landlord is a lifelong pal,so......out it came :)

Yep,the "joining" escapade,was one of those many occasions,where there is no point in doing other than a simple head shake. I told him,he was an eejit,he told me i was getting soft....

His landlord is a lifelong pal,so......out it came :)
What? You mean you peed on it?:eek:

He said that the best way to do this would be a galv adaptable box, terminate the SWA with external glands, add a 16mm flylead and join L and N with a DP service connector box contained within.

Without knowing the details of the job its hard to say for sure but this doesn't sound like the best plan. Where is the joint going to be and what sort of installation is it, domestic, commercial?

Using external glands suggests this may be an outdoor installation? In which case a solution with a higher IP rating than a modern steel adaptable box would be better. I'd also prefer crimped connections with heatshrink insulation instead of a service connector block personally.

Reply to Joining 25mm SWA - two options? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock