Discuss Joining a cps without 2391 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning lads

I may be mad but I am thinking of starting on my own. Since completing my apprenticeship I have been working mainly on industrial machinery. I have been involved with design through to commissioning stage of installs. Fault finding and plc work are two of my favourite things.

My question to you guys is can I join a cps without a 2391 type qualification. I want to get involved with domestic work and take on small through to big jobs. Obviously I would be looking to be a member of a scheme. I did look on Napit but it seemed confusing and poorly laid out so thought I'd ask you guys instead.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I'm interested to know why you want to swap from what you are doing now to doing domestic.

Not so much swap. I want to offer what I do now to my contacts but I want to have strings on my bow so to speak. I will be offering safety installs at factories, plc programming and machine work etc. However I'd like to offer the domestic side to give me the best chance to succeed on my own.

You can probably be a DI but not Approved Contractor status. Did you do AM2 or FICA or similar as an apprentice?

You just need a level 3 to get in 2391 allows EICR as well. Well that is in my scheme (Stroma) which is now NAPIT. You may only be allowed domestic status.

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling I'd need it. I'll get myself booked in then. Any recommendations in the Cambridgeshire area to do the course?
No idea mate I’m in Hampshire but I’d imagine they all the same, not easy, but I do hear the EAL qual is a lot easier than the C&G...

napit used to allow you in without the 2391, but with the proviso that you'd do it within 12 months. most important thing with these scams is for your cheque to clear

Yeah seems to be the way. I'd quite happily do it within the 12 months if that's the case. I'm looking to get it done anyway would give me the incentive to get through it.

You don't need testing qualifications, just to be competent at inspection and testing. If at the assessment they aren't happy with your testing abilities they will ask you to do the course.

I've been a DI in the past and am now the QS for full NICEIC approved contractor registration.
Ive got the NVQ and tech cert from my apprenticeship and the 238something (18th edition) I don't have any testing qualifications and have never had a problem at any assessment visit.
[automerge]1578491583[/automerge]
You need 2391 (94/95) to be domestic installer....

I've been QS for multiple companies and have never needed any testing qualification.

I’m only basing that on my own limited experience within this industry, when I joined Stroma....I was told I needed, at the time, 2394/95

Thanks for the replies lads as it helps to know different experiences. I've had a call from napit today so when I'm finished messing around with a 400 year old drive and motor I'll speak to them and see what they say about my qualifications

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies lads as it helps to know different experiences. I've had a call from napit today so when I'm finished messing around with a 400 year old drive and motor I'll speak to them and see what they say about my qualifications
A friend has been in Napit for 14 years and 2391 has never been insisted on.They gave him until end of 2020 to get the 18th edition.
Regards,S

Last time I checked you just needed to hold the latest edition of the regs qual...or be in the process of taking it

If nothing else,once again,this thread proves that difference between what people are told,and what the schemes actually accept,is a long ole' ride...

Out of interest,does anybody have any verifiable evidence,of any scheme's expulsion,of a member undertaking the promise to do 2391,and not quite managing this,by next payment date?

Reply to Joining a cps without 2391 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net