Discuss Joining cables before plastering in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rkportman

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi I am preparing a room for decorating, and my customer had an electrician in to move some sockets. He has joined cables with standard terminal blocks and then wrapped in insulation tape. Is this an acceptable practice please ?

If this is going to be plastered in then no, tell your customer to get a real electrician in who knows what he's doing. Even if this joint wasn't been plastered in it would require to be in a enclosure and accessible for inspection.

It's not good practice if these joints are then going to be plastered over. Crimping would be more appropriate, then suitably protected from the plasterer.

They would need indent through crimps, a self sealing heat shrink over the cores and a self sealing heat shrink over the entire joint if this was going to be acceptable as a plastered in joint, alternate would be maintenance free connections in a IP rated enclosure - after the OP's concerns on this I would recommend his customer get another competent firm to check any work this so called electrician has done.

Hi I am preparing a room for decorating, and my customer had an electrician in to move some sockets. He has joined cables with standard terminal blocks and then wrapped in insulation tape. Is this an acceptable practice please ?

Your post title mentions plastering, yet you say the sparks has put the cables in connector blocks and tapped them over, has the sparks just made the ends safe PRIOR to decorating??

pete, he's in your area.nip round. put him right, call for a pint on way home. everyone's a winner.

@OP.a joint that'sto be buriedin plaster must be soldered/crimpedand properly insulated with heat shrink or similar . it's got to stand the test of years. terminal block, or choc strip, taped over is a complete bodge, expected from plumbers and builders, but not from an electrician.

Last edited:
No he has extended cables using a basic plastic screw clamp terminal block, then put some insulation tape round it. The sort of thing you might have done installing an old car stereo

Very Poor Method and completely unaccepted, someones moral compass is 'Buggered'. We used to through crimp and then use self amalgamating tape, which is an approved method.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you respond to my PM depending on where you live I could pop around and advise

You may get the 3in 1 oil on the pliers Pete.....

I'll have you know my tools. although not used that much now are pristine oiled free from any contaminants
To add he aint got back to me yet

Last edited:
If it's not been plastered I'd be enclined to replace a length of cable din to the socket (presumably) and stick a wago box above the ceiling.

if not particularly practical, crimp and a few layers of heat shrink and tape should do it.

So no more responses from the OP for 8 hours - poor show especially as Pete999 has expressed willingness to visit to give a 2nd opinion...

If it's not been plastered I'd be enclined to replace a length of cable din to the socket (presumably) and stick a wago box above the ceiling.

if not particularly practical, crimp and a few layers of heat shrink and tape should do it.

Agree, I normally use online idea maintenance free connections and Wago box and chisel the wall to bury it so it will be below the plaster.

Reply to Joining cables before plastering in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net