Discuss Joining NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I currently live in Scotland but moving down to England, I would like to join NICEIC to sign off work for my company, however do I have the qualifications to join or do you have to be an approved electrician to join? I have gone through my recognised apprenticeship. I have SVQ level 3 and SJIB 17th edition inspection and testing and approved health and safety assessment qualifications, is this enough to join? If anyone could help me or update me on any further qualification I require that would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

Show how bad the scams are when poeple can say you will be good to join without any proof of the standard of work they carry out.

Show how bad the scams are when poeple can say you will be good to join without any proof of the standard of work they carry out.

I think everyone was just saying that he met the criteria to apply. He will still need to have an assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:
All he needs is a cheque book or credit card, either will do.

Where the hell do assessments fit in, its play acting to give the impression they do something. Can anyone cite an instance of a scam failing someone on their first assessment?

Where the hell do assessments fit in, its play acting to give the impression they do something. Can anyone cite an instance of a scam failing someone on their first assessment?

Have you heard of the screwfix forum? Haha

Last edited:

Purely anecdotal Tony, but chatting to my assessor over the last few years it seems he fails quite a few assessments. Last year he had failed 2 that week, I can't remember the details other than one installations had several code 1s.

I will say though that he is an electrical contractor himself and only does assessing for the nic part time.

When I was the QS for my old company the assessors would proudly tell me how many people who had failed in the last week/month. But they all had the opportunity to fix the errors and pay for another assessment where they would go back and look at those same jobs again (after the assessor has told them exactly what to change and how).

When I was the QS for my old company the assessors would proudly tell me how many people who had failed in the last week/month. But they all had the opportunity to fix the errors and pay for another assessment where they would go back and look at those same jobs again (after the assessor has told them exactly what to change and how).

Now that really inspires confidence.

I think i'd take whatever these NICEIC assessors have said with a good pinch of salt. To boast how many they fail, it is one, definitely not in NICEIC's best financial interest and two, wouldn't be working for NICEIC for too long. You never see anyone coming on here moaning about failing the assessment, and we have one member here who has a friend who's an NICEIC assessor that stated he get's hassle whenever he has tried to fail a DI applicant...

Come on now you'd have to be more than just ''Bad'' TO FAIL any Scam assessment, you stand more chance of failing if you say can't produce appropriate insurance policies etc, rather than any technical knowledge or skill level assessment....

I think i'd take whatever these NICEIC assessors have said with a good pinch of salt. To boast how many they fail, it is one, definitely not in NICEIC's best financial interest and two, wouldn't be working for NICEIC for too long. You never see anyone coming on here moaning about failing the assessment, and we have one member here who has a friend who's an NICEIC assessor that stated he get's hassle whenever he has tried to fail a DI applicant...

Come on now you'd have to be more than just ''Bad'' TO FAIL any Scam assessment, you stand more chance of failing if you say can't produce appropriate insurance policies etc, rather than any technical knowledge or skill level assessment....

I take whatever anybody says with a pinch of salt and my assessor certainly wasn't boasting when telling me of assessments that he had failed.

Now your point re best financial interest is a strange one to make. You're an engineer Eng and going by your advice and opinions on here you seem to be a very good one with a lot of experience. Would it be fair for me to say that it is not in your financial interest to do your job properly? I mean surely you could make more money by cutting corners, we all could.

You're right about people not coming on here and moaning about failing the assessment, but who would? I'm sure that if I failed an assessment I would not be telling people on here.

The idea of assessors going round the country passing any dangerous or dodgy electricians just to get their £400 doesn't ring true with me. All the electricians I know get apprehensive when their assessment is approaching and all talk of the thoroughness of it and are all glad when it's over, these are Niceic, Napit & Elecsa registered electricians.
My usual assessor is all over my work like a ferret, he does not miss a thing, certainly not trying to give me an easy ride.

I take whatever anybody says with a pinch of salt and my assessor certainly wasn't boasting when telling me of assessments that he had failed.

Now your point re best financial interest is a strange one to make. You're an engineer Eng and going by your advice and opinions on here you seem to be a very good one with a lot of experience. Would it be fair for me to say that it is not in your financial interest to do your job properly? I mean surely you could make more money by cutting corners, we all could.

You're right about people not coming on here and moaning about failing the assessment, but who would? I'm sure that if I failed an assessment I would not be telling people on here.

The idea of assessors going round the country passing any dangerous or dodgy electricians just to get their £400 doesn't ring true with me. All the electricians I know get apprehensive when their assessment is approaching and all talk of the thoroughness of it and are all glad when it's over, these are Niceic, Napit & Elecsa registered electricians.
My usual assessor is all over my work like a ferret, he does not miss a thing, certainly not trying to give me an easy ride.

Quite the opposite actually, but then i have to take final responsibility for all electrical work carried out, where the likes of Scam providers take literally no responsibility for it's members... Trying to get any action from the Scams needs almost a threat of legal proceedings. Now how many times has that been proved here!!!

They'd always be at least one or two muppets that would come on here complaining about something or other as to why they had failed, but there has been NONE to my knowledge. As far as i'm aware from other previous threads on the subject, what normally happens if something gets picked up, is all that's needed is photographic evidence that something has been rectified at a later date, ....they don't just fail these chancers.

Funny you should say that, because whenever anyone comes on here prior to a Scam assessment the majority here, quite literally tell them not to worry so long as the 400 quid check has cleared!! lol!!

Perhaps you can explain, how a guy that had no previous experience undertakes a 17 day/5 week course and can fly through one of these so-called Scam assessments (and there are 1000s upon 1000's of them out there)?? That in itself tells me that these assessments are a complete farce, and anyone that can ACTUALLY fail one has to be a bloody walking disaster on two feet!!

Think i'll stick to my pinch of salt theory!! lol!!

Quite the opposite actually, but then i have to take final responsibility for all electrical work carried out, where the likes of Scam providers take literally no responsibility for it's members...
That misses my point, to throw out an accusation like that with absolutely no proof is not making an argument. The scheme providers responsibility is ascertain 'competence'

Trying to get any action from the Scams needs almost a threat of legal proceedings. Now how many times has that been proved here!!!

It's not their job to prosecute, it's the local authority's. And before anyone says there have been none or not many, I know. I'm not on here to defend part p and the policing of it.

They'd always be at least one or two muppets that would come on here complaining about something or other as to why they had failed, but there has been NONE to my knowledge.

I doubt that's true. But are you implying by extension that no one ever fails, or just people on this forum.

As far as i'm aware from other previous threads on the subject, what normally happens if something gets picked up, is all that's needed is photographic evidence that something has been rectified at a later date, ....they don't just fail these chancers.

Do the 'muppets' come on here complaining or not? or is this based once again on hearsay?
And they do fail these chancers.

Funny you should say that, because whenever anyone comes on here prior to a Scam assessment the majority here, quite literally tell them not to worry so long as the 400 quid check has cleared!! lol!!

Eng, you should know better. Just preceding a statement with 'quite literally' does not make it a fact.
50 thousand members & the majority tell them not to worry? The truth is a small minority who are against part p & the scheme providers jump on it.
I'll make up my own fact (but I think it's probably true). The majority of those on here who slate the scheme providers and are totally against part p are not involved with domestic work or scheme members.

Perhaps you can explain, how a guy that had no previous experience undertakes a 17 day/5 week course and can fly through one of these so-called Scam assessments

No I can't, but give me his number and I will give him a ring to find out. I assume you know this guy otherwise once again I'd have to assume that you are basing your argument on hearsay.

Think i'll stick to my pinch of salt theory!! lol!!

Taking things with a pinch of salt is not a theory. It's a method of putting up with something you don't like, like part p perhaps.

I respect your position on this Eng and I know you're sincere. I'm not actually happy with part p in its present form and the enforcement is non existent. Going back to your Electrical Trainee, before part p he could start doing rewires, board changes etc whenever he liked with no test gear, no insurance, regs, no knowledge of testing or anything. And he quite often did, Electrical Trainee are not new. At the very least now he will either be breaking the law or will be assessed as to competence once a year. So he will have to have insurance, test instruments, relevant publications, certificates and show a couple of jobs and the ability to test. Not perfect by any means, but in my opinion better than what we had.

Reply to Joining NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock