Discuss joining two feeds into one consumer unit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have two 40A swa cables from my main house consumer unit. This consumer unit serves the whole house and the two swa cables serve two consumer units in an extension. One is upstairs and has very little demand and one is downstairs with a higher demand.
My question is:
Can I add the upstairs swa into the downstairs consumer unit allowing more demand and an appropriate t+e cable back to feed the upstairs cu.
Basically I want to join the two feeds together either in the downstairs cu or another way.

This will be done by a qualified sparky but I just want to know if it is feasable before I hire him.

Thanks

Greg

parallel cables are allowed in the regs, however there are some pre requisites that need to be met.
it is worth asking a spark to quote but it may not be worth the effort and you might not save anything in the end.

parallel cables are allowed in the regs, however there are some pre requisites that need to be met.
it is worth asking a spark to quote but it may not be worth the effort and you might not save anything in the end.
Thanks James

Could the two incoming cables go into the same main isolator?

As above, it is possible but has significant further implications for cable protection, isolation, and selectivity between protective devices if a board fed from another board.

Probably you would be better to look at having the SWA for the highly loaded board replaced with something bigger.

That is one of the many issues you may have.
the terminals at both ends will have to be suitable to accept both cables.
the cable run should be the same length, the same size and ideally the same route.

it is not quite a simple as you might imagine.

Thankyou all for your help, it seems that it is not such a good idea.
Can I ask if another solution is viable.
The downstairs newish metal cu has about 16 ways. It has one 100A main isolator and two double rcd's - one 80A & the other 63A.
Can this cu be used as two individual ones if I add another 100A isolator?
So the original feed supplies one half of the board and then splice into the upstairs feed to independly supply the other half. I could then balance the loads accross the board.

When you say you have 2 off swa cables that are 40A
what size are the cables?
i.e. 3 core 4 square mm?

They are 3 core with an outside diameter of 20mm. I assume they are 10mm sq.
If they are 10mm then they would usually be rated at least 60A (depends on thermal environment, etc), however, there may be other factors limiting the capacity such as the voltage drop if very long, or fault disconnection time depending on how it is powered (MCB or fuse, your supply earth loop impedance, etc).

It would be worth getting a professional electrician in to asses the origin supply characteristics, the cable & route, and sub-main protection, as it might be simply a case of changing the feed to a 60A switched-fuse arrangement for the board needing more power.

I'm now considering 3 phase installation from the grid.

Could I use the 2 buried existing 3 core -10mm sq swa cables in combination for the 3 phase supply from the new meter/cu/fuses to a 3 phase distribution board about 6 metres away in a new outbuilding?

i.e. one cable to carry 3 live & the other to carry the neutral and earth.

The requirements for conductors in parallel, which is what you're proposing here, insist that the cables must be of equal length (so that the resistance of each is the same otherwise you don't get equal current sharing). As I'm guessing this won't be the case, by the time you've bashed about making them just so, I strongly suspect it would have been quicker and cheaper to just upgrade the existing cable.

i.e. one cable to carry 3 live & the other to carry the neutral and earth.

No you can’t
Devil's advocate mood.
Why not? Neutral will only carry 3 phase out of balance current, so sized to suit the supply fuse rating of one phase, and the other conductor, paralleled with 2 x SWA wire armour should more than cover the earthing requirements.

Worst case is that one phase is fully loaded and others are carrying no current

so you now have 2 steel armoured cables carrying the current in one direction each.
the eddy currents will be horrible, it is for this reason that you can’t get single core swa cable.
edit,
single core aluminium wire armour is available and is ok because there is no inductive coupling.

Yes, of course, eddy currents.
My excuse is that I've been working all day up in the air in my cherry picker, with the sun beating down. Brain more than a little frazzled.

Worst case is that one phase is fully loaded and others are carrying no current

so you now have 2 steel armoured cables carrying the current in one direction each.
the eddy currents will be horrible, it is for this reason that you can’t get single core swa cable.
edit,
single core aluminium wire armour is available and is ok because there is no inductive coupling.
Could this happen anyway with 4 core?
Only one cable will be carrying current in one direction with the other cable carrying the neutral and earth the opposite direction.

Yes, of course, eddy currents.
My excuse is that I've been working all day up in the air in my cherry picker, with the sun beating down. Brain more than a little frazzled.
Find a cold beer, it will cool your faulty brain and make things much clearer!!

Could this happen anyway with 4 core?
Only one cable will be carrying current in one direction with the other cable carrying the neutral and earth the opposite direction.
In a 4 core you would have 3 phases and a N conductor.
the current will balance out to be equal.
outer armour provides the earth and there should be no current or just a negligible amount.

Last edited:

Reply to joining two feeds into one consumer unit. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock