Discuss Joint cables inside back box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mynamesmatt

I have one double socket in my kitchen (its part up the upstairs ring) ...and i need to change it to three doubles

Is it ok to use the double back box that is currently in the wall, to joint and extend the ring (and place a double blank plate over) then chase down and fit three doubles?

If so what type of connectors should i use, wagos?

Be nice ...........
Joint cables inside back box? pic thin - EletriciansForums.net

matt, this is notifiable work. Tell me you are a part P registered, qualified electrician and I will of course offer you any advice that I can. :)

yeah...get em crimped...youl need blue and red crimps for this...ratchet crimper n all...

im a qualified electrician! the original socket is far too high above the worktops, just all needs re-jigging really

thanks guys!

also, i came across a lighting junction box under the floorboards.. all the terminals inside were being used by live/neturals and so someone has brought the earths OUTSIDE the jb and put them all into a chock block.. anyone ever seen this done? hmmmmmmmm

Sorry matt, didn't know you were a qualified electrician. I'm surprised you are asking about extending an RFC in that case. Not part P tho?
In answer to the JB question, yes, you will find that method used throughout thousands of homes. Not good practice, and one which I hate, but out there nonetheless.

Through crimps, do not just spur of existing with one cable as that is not correct without fusing the cable down.

You've got it dead right matt, nice picture. Doesnt matter what you have behind the blank plate (crimps, terminal block, wagos) its all good although I love wagos these days. I wouldn't worry too much about that Part P nonsense, its your gaff and if you know what you're at then crack on.

On the subject of wagos
Anyone who has never use a wagobox/connectors please please give them a try you dont know what you are missing out on.
Picture this: 4 T&E's and 2 3 cores hanging out of a 70mm downlighter hole all need connecting together in an enclosure that will fit back through that hole.......major headache right...not with a wagobox and connectors. Literally takes about 10 minutes and only tool you need is cutters, no tape no drivers nothing.
Awesome awesome awesome

You've got it dead right matt, nice picture. Doesnt matter what you have behind the blank plate (crimps, terminal block, wagos) its all good although I love wagos these days. I wouldn't worry too much about that Part P nonsense, its your gaff and if you know what you're at then crack on.

On the subject of wagos
Anyone who has never use a wagobox/connectors please please give them a try you dont know what you are missing out on.
Picture this: 4 T&E's and 2 3 cores hanging out of a 70mm downlighter hole all need connecting together in an enclosure that will fit back through that hole.......major headache right...not with a wagobox and connectors. Literally takes about 10 minutes and only tool you need is cutters, no tape no drivers nothing.
Awesome awesome awesome
so what if its 5A connectors....as i found the other day in a similar scenario?

Thanks for the support Dave.

if it's exactly above the new socket, cut a bit of metal capping down and place it over the connections then plaster over it. I see no reason why that can't be done because it's still in a safe zone, that's only if your using maintenace free connections though

if it's exactly above the new socket, cut a bit of metal capping down and place it over the connections then plaster over it. I see no reason why that can't be done because it's still in a safe zone, that's only if your using maintenace free connections though

I don't like that! I know it's ok cause it's mf but there's something about it I don't like and would never do myself

I can't believe that you guys are telling a DIY'er how to do notifiable work in a building regs special location.
Lucas, many thing "can be done", but plastering over push connections does not make the joint MF.

Part P is a load of old tosh. It will never stop people doing work in their own homes. It's just another government solution to fix a problem by extracting money from people at the same time

You may think it's tosh and I may think it's tosh, but it is the law. Very irresponsible to suggest to someone on a public forum to ignore it.

^^^^^tend to agree^^^^^ .....because it is a tad surprising that a qualified electrician needs to ask how to extend a RFC. If the OP was competant enough to ignore part p he wouldnt have to ask how to do the job.
I've been known to ignore part p but then I've been extending RFC's for decades before part p was a twinkle in the governments eye.

Reply to Joint cables inside back box? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock