Discuss JTL apprenticeship?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

super_stuey

Hi all bit of a random one so bear with me! Im 25 and currently doin C&G 2330 level 2 at college full time. Have been applying to local electricians with not a lot of luck but its obviously bad times which I can understand.

I had a call of a sparky mate the other day sayin "sorry not got any work for you but gonna try to get you signed up to JTL and get your courses paid for, pretty sure funding stops at 26" :)

So:

Question 1: does anyone know if I am too old for an apprenticeship now (JTL website says 16-24) or do you think he means an adult apprenticeship?? Maybe it can be back-dated as I was 24 when I started the course?

Question 2: if I can get signed up 2 the scheme, am I then tied to my mate's company? I know this might sound a bit ungrateful but he doesn't have a lot of work so would this be my best option seein as ill be finishing my level 2 course in June and then looking for employment to go with my level 3?

Cheers all in advance, form a very keen but confused midlander!! :confused:

hi im same as you an old trainee 24 now

when i first started the course i tried with jtl i did a test etc then never heard anything back from them

personally id forget about them and do it off your own back if your not employed get the goverment to pay for it i paid for it all myself and the way i see it was il soon earn money back so was like an investment

also been with jtl students there all school levers and dont really want to learn so **** about alot in class from what iv heard at college so that may affect your progress to

Hang on a min guys.. Im a JTL student and 23 years of age. The lads on the same course seem to be a mixture of 17 - 25 year olds with the majority being 18-19. I think as a full time course you will find younger end NO SWEARING about a bit but on an official apprenticship with JTL tends to mature them up a bit. Obviously everyone is still out for a laugh a bit but, there seems to be a line between going overboard.
We are all on our NVQ3 at moment (inspection,testing and fault find) and seems that all the idiots has left the course anyway, and this was probably the case as they ( NO SWEARING) around so much they ended up failing the tests etc. As you will be starting level 3, you should noticed that its all gone anyway....

Also as you were saying, stay full-time throughout level 1,2 and 3 and not progressing for an apprenticship, this would seem a bad move as most emloyers these days want apprentice trained engineers, otherwise they class you as an advanced labourer.. migt be wrong but thats what ive been told..

Hope that helps..

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be in employment to do an apprenticeship

Yeah thats right.. I meant get out of full-time education and look more towards an electrical company willing to commence the training at level 3 NVQ through a recognised apprenticship..:)

Hi guys thanks for you replys. It is pretty confusing hey!

I still think what is best for me is to just do my level 3 one day a week next year and hopefully get with a company who can put me thru my NVQ 3. After that its 17th and 2391 but thats a long way away! The JTL thing probably wont happen coz Im over age but at the least the guy thought of me when theres so many younger lads around. Its given me a bit of hope to keep persevering with larger companies.

If you do an advanced apprenticeship JTL will under the government scheme pay for everything you need. That is:

City & Guilds 2330 level 2 and 3 technical certificate (3 years)
Key Skills if required
NVQ3 in Electrotechnology
AM2 test

Complete all the above and by paying £30 you can obtain a JIB card qualifying you as an electrician.

Did you contact JTL mate? The reason I ask is because I'm in a similar situation. I'm currently doing the 2330 level 2 full time and I'm 24. I've applied to JTL and I've got my assessment soon, but I was just wondering, what happens if I can't get a job before I turn 25? Will I not be able to get funding, or is it simply a case of, as long as your 24 or under when you start the course, then it's ok?

I've emailed JTL asking them this, but haven't recieved a response yet. Just wondering if anyone else could shed any light?

Did you contact JTL mate? The reason I ask is because I'm in a similar situation. I'm currently doing the 2330 level 2 full time and I'm 24. I've applied to JTL and I've got my assessment soon, but I was just wondering, what happens if I can't get a job before I turn 25? Will I not be able to get funding, or is it simply a case of, as long as your 24 or under when you start the course, then it's ok?

I've emailed JTL asking them this, but haven't recieved a response yet. Just wondering if anyone else could shed any light?

It will be the date that you signed up that your age is taken from, so at 24 you can get the funding

It will be taken from the age when you sgned up to the programme so at 24 you will qualify for funding

im 16 and i have applied for jtl and done the assesment got a letter sayign i passed it but on the day of the assement the bloke there said anyone over 19 would have to pay for the college fees

just thought i would give my input incase it helps :D

im 16 and i have applied for jtl and done the assesment got a letter sayign i passed it but on the day of the assement the bloke there said anyone over 19 would have to pay for the college fees

Hi birchy69, This maybe because of government cut backs that affect 19+ age groups. The government who pay for apprenticeships are discriminating against 19+. Basically having bailed out the banks there is insufficient funds left for training. JTL like any other training provider and college have had their funding from the LSC cut and the people it affects most are the 19+. Whilst you are in the 16 - 19 age group jump at an apprenticeship while it is still fully funded by the government.

Don't you need 3 GCSE's grade C at math's, english, science?

I've applied for JTL but I just need to do the assesment again, failed 1st time :( because I ran out of time. When you do the JTL you have very little time so idial to practise you're speed.

I though the 2330 lvl 2 & 3 was in 2 yrs block release at college?

I've applied for JTL but I just need to do the assesment again, failed 1st time :( because I ran out of time. When you do the JTL you have very little time so idial to practise you're speed.

It's better if you have grade C in maths at GCSE but you should be OK on a D. Basically anything less then you may not pass the college course C&G 2330. It is up to JTL and their requirements whether they will accept you or not on less than a C

Guys

My college has just signed up all the lads on evening classes, most of the guy are 30+. And it is on the adult apprentiship. 5 on my 2330 level 2 and all of the lads on level 3 are signed up. Like has been mentioned, all the costs will be met by the goverment.

C&G 2330 L2
C&G 2330 L3
NVQ L3
AM2

Basically you need to work with a sparks 30 hours a week. But I think colleges are flexible on this, as the college get the funding as it is bums on seats, the more they sign up the more funding the college gets!!

Chris

It's better if you have grade C in maths at GCSE but you should be OK on a D. Basically anything less then you may not pass the college course C&G 2330. It is up to JTL and their requirements whether they will accept you or not on less than a C

I think if you do a foundation level 1 course thats another way around getting round onto the C & G 2330 course if you didn't get the grades you wanted.

But I notice when you do a course and you enjoyit you'll put you're head down and study so I'd say it's attitude that will pass you on the course if try hard enouth. :)

Guys

My college has just signed up all the lads on evening classes, most of the guy are 30+. And it is on the adult apprentiship. 5 on my 2330 level 2 and all of the lads on level 3 are signed up. Like has been mentioned, all the costs will be met by the goverment.

C&G 2330 L2
C&G 2330 L3
NVQ L3
AM2

Basically you need to work with a sparks 30 hours a week. But I think colleges are flexible on this, as the college get the funding as it is bums on seats, the more they sign up the more funding the college gets!!

Chris
Thanks for that info. It looks like the college are using up their budget allowance. Great news for those concerned they should jump at it.

No Sh!t you failed your JTL exam! Just guessing, but I reckon you may just have dipped out on your spelling?
Assessment (assesment is wrong)
Ideal (Idial is wrong)
Practice (practise is wrong)
Your (you're is wrong in that context)

Seriously mate - that is far more than typo errors!

Reply to JTL apprenticeship?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock