Discuss Jubilee line light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I Recently purchased a Jubilee Line button from the London Transport museum. I was looking to convert this to a light switch. Can one point me in the right direction ? I would be looking to employ an electrical to connect this but wanted to know whether it was possible etc

Attachments

• Jubilee line light switch 2BD2DA86-FFDB-4246-8F1A-5E5231D90241 - EletriciansForums.net
    2BD2DA86-FFDB-4246-8F1A-5E5231D90241.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
It's likely that isn't mains rated and is probably a momentary switch, in other words it doesn't remain switched once released.

It's likely that isn't mains rated and is probably a momentary switch, in other words it doesn't remain switched once released.
Thanks - so it would be better suited to a door bell?

It could be mains rated but the switching function is not suitable for a light switch without peripheral parts but yes it would suit a door bell.

Would require an enclosure for a relay to latch on and then off.

12v circuit switching a 240v through a contractor.
Fairly simple operation, but was that button “bought from a museum” or obtained off the side of a train during an especially drunken weekend.

12v circuit switching a 240v through a contractor.
Fairly simple operation, but was that button “bought from a museum” or obtained off the side of a train during an especially drunken weekend.
Bought from the museum...

I was thinking of a push button mechanism behind the button. Are you saying you can do this in a more sophisticated manner?

Are you a train spotter?

You could easily wire the contacts of the button into an rf unit that then activates anything you want it to

Are you a train spotter?

You could easily wire the contacts of the button into an rf unit that then activates anything you want it to
I am not!

Does anyone that is based in London have any interest in helping me with this project?

Ok, I was just asking out of interest.
In the Isle of Man trains are very popular with many enthusiasts.

The task is a very simple one.
Would probably take 1 to 2 hours.
Plus approx ÂŁ100 to ÂŁ150

The button is a momentary switch, on when you push it, off when you release.
You need a latching relay that will stay on... then another to release the latch by pressing the same button I assume?

You get the 12v or whatever circuit working first, then use it to operate a 240v circuit with a 12v coil.

There may be ready made solutions from cpc farnell or RS websites

Forgive me I have no experience of converting a device like this. Are you suggesting I go into a local branch of RS or contact a local electrician?

What does the light switch control that you are wanting to convert?
Downlights?

Reply to Jubilee line light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock