Discuss Just a little help :? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I’m an apprentice looming for a little help understanding some wiring.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram for a 2 gang 2 way switch??
If you are doing loop at switch, how does your feed go to the other side of the switch if that makes sense? Cheers

What cables do you have at the 2G2Way oposition and at the other end of the 2 way system, can you post pics of the cables?

Draw out on a bit of paper three dots in a triangle, two at the bottom one at the top.
Com at the top, L1 at bottom left and L2 at bottom right.
Draw another three dots in a triangle a couple of inches away.
Your two switch wires go to L1 and L2 on the first triangle, your 3core cable then goes com to com, L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 between the two triangles.
That’s it for a standard 2 way switch set up.

Draw out on a bit of paper three dots in a triangle, two at the bottom one at the top.
Com at the top, L1 at bottom left and L2 at bottom right.
Draw another three dots in a triangle a couple of inches away.
Your two switch wires go to L1 and L2 on the first triangle, your 3core cable then goes com to com, L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 between the two triangles.
That’s it for a standard 2 way switch set up.
Correct, but the OP has stated the loop in and out are at the switch position.

still as spin says, but from switch#1 he'd take a S/L and N to the light instead of Lin +S/L out.

If I've understood correctly there's a two gang switch at each location, each controlling a light. Each light having 2 way control from each location (?). And unswitched L and N available at each switch. I've assumed the lights are near the switches, say top and bottom of stairs. Hope this helps and sorry for the messy diag. Happy for feedback :) .

Just a little help :? IMG_1388.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If I've understood correctly there's a two gang switch at each location, each controlling a light. Each light having 2 way control from each location (?). And unstitched L and N at each switching point. I've assumed the lights are near the switches, say top and bottom of stairs. Hope this helps and sorry for the messy diag. Happy for feedback :) .

View attachment 48314

There are so many ways of arranging the wiring.
Wilko has shown two wire switching for the top light and three wire switching for the bottom light, because this fits the layout required. So the wiring method would be dependent on the location of the switches and the location of the lights.
I have done some similar diagrams, the top left is the basic three wire switching approach and the other two are other possible options for different scenarios. The best idea is to understand how the switching works and then adapt the cabling for your needs.
Just a little help :? two way switching two gang switch fed with options - EletriciansForums.net

If all switches are 2G2W, then Richard Burn's diagrams above all have an unnecessary wire between the two switch locations - in all cases there are two permanent lives running between the two switch locations.
The LH circuit can be achieved with one T&E and one 3&E, while the two RH circuits can be wire with either two 3&E or three T&E between switches.

Reply to Just a little help :? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock