Discuss Just back from a callout.. The joys.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Microwave, extractor fan and man cave all going through a 13A FCU... Man cave has 5kW of heating in it, a beer fridge, TV, etc etc...oh and it's fed via a 1mm cable!
The FCU was replaced three weeks ago by a college lecturer (teaches electrics)..
The neutral feed I suspect was not tightened up at all, as I would have half expected the terminal screw to be 'welded' due to the heat but it moved freely..
On the plus side I will be getting more work to sort it out properly..

Can anyone spot the other thing wrong in the first photo..
IMG_20200114_221751.jpg
IMG_20200114_231644.jpg

Just realised you needed to look at the second photo to see what was wrong with the first one! The lives were back to front. Live feed was in the out and vice versa...

what size fuse is feeding the 1mm? if 32a then thank his lucky starts that was the only damage.

The 1mm was on the outgoing side of the FCU...no fuse present when I got there but am presuming 13A. The 1mm cable run is around 6ft where it then goes into an external IP rated enclosure with a RCCB in it. From there it is armoured cable to a sub board in the man cave. The RCCB is probably entirely pointless given there is a 30mA at the main board...and the main board looks like it has been in a good while.
[automerge]1579132709[/automerge]
Ug lee ... I’m going for N in in the N out. Ha, confused myself :)

Nearly!!
[automerge]1579132928[/automerge]
A cpc isn't connected (or sleeved - or long enough).

Possibly...not 100% on what was connected..I took a quick photo for reference and unscrewed it all with the view that it was better to just work it out myself. The heat build up must have been pretty good ! Was worse than it looks in the photo..
[automerge]1579133079[/automerge]
RYB cable has a cut back cpc?

Ah, I never mentioned that.. The RYB supplied an outside light but was disconnected by someone who said it might 'make it overload' ....but they left everything else connected...! Arrrggghh!!
[automerge]1579133173[/automerge]
Tiles haven't been cleaned!!!

Or what's the red and blue at the back - looks like it's connected to the earth point on the bb

Previously dissed outside light - see just above ^^
[automerge]1579133327[/automerge]
Yellow of triple in cpc terminal.

See above too ^^^

Last edited:

Reply to Just back from a callout.. The joys.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net