Discuss Just below the soil surface in my front garden! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Builder started scraping the vegetation off my front garden last week. Bang! Power cable no more than about 30-40mm under soil. Interesting watching the DNO guys come out and fix live. Very efficient

B3A6021E-6B5F-404B-9DA0-0231997019BA.jpeg

JCB mini digger. Now buried under about two foot more of rubble which will be a right pain if it needs to be dug up again.

30-40mm below ground is a bit shallow, I'm surprised nobody hit it in the past already. Maybe ground level has changed over the years since it was installed. Did it have any hazard tape on top of it? Did the DNO charge you for fixing it?

Yeah, wishful thinking maybe.

What type of cable is it? Looks a bit like split-con on my 12 year old monitor....

Yeah, wishful thinking maybe.

What type of cable is it? Looks a bit like split-con on my 12 year old monitor....
mostly is either split con or just plain con over here. thrown in any old way, sometimes even buried if you're lucky.

As mine enters the bounty of the property through a dyke, you can see it cross over from one wall of the dyke to the other.

Must give the DNO a call one day..

Don’t know the cable type but it had aluminium core and copper outer strands. No hazard tape. We’re in an old 19th century cottage and would say the front garden hadn’t been touched for about 30 years. For the location you would have expected an over head supply. No damage to digging machine.

It's called hybrid cable. Generally DNO's cable 450mm deep. My area usually in 32mm PVC ducting and yes marker tape used
But when builders developers install service cables, it has been known that corners are cut. No doubt DNO (old electricity Boards) in the past have done the same.

Don’t know the cable type but it had aluminium core and copper outer strands. No hazard tape. We’re in an old 19th century cottage and would say the front garden hadn’t been touched for about 30 years. For the location you would have expected an over head supply. No damage to digging machine.

It looks like split concentric, but can’t tell if those strands on the right have blue insulation on or not?

Reply to Just below the soil surface in my front garden! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net