Discuss Just checking... Qualified or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Having some kitchen work done. Fitter is sub contracting electrical work.
Last year, new MCB resulted in whole house check and appropriate paperwork.
I want to keep it that way?
What might I ask the electrician (that can be verified) in terms of qualifications,
and what paperwork / certificate should I ask for on completion of the electrical work please?

Tks.

Check on the Electrical Safety register to see if they are registered under a CPS scheme. If so their qualifications will have been checked and their insurance and so on already for you.
You can ask to see their PL and maybe PI insurance and the proof of being a CPS member. To a professional these questions will be welcome as not many clients have any idea of CPS and so on.

You can start by asking which competent persons scheme they are a member of, and their membership number. You can then use this to check on-line to ensure they are actually a member, failing that give the scheme they claim to be a member of a call.

Unfortunately, your location isn't specific enough as there are country variations.

If a circuit is changed in a kitchen in England, they are only required to provide a Minor Works Certificate. In Wales a Minor Works Certificate is required along with a building control notification (as Wales still considers the kitchen a special location). If a new circuit is installed, you should expect an Electrical Installation Certificate and a building control notification.

In my interpretation of the regs (as in, the certificates are required by BS 7671 so it can be argued the work isn't complete and compliant with the wiring regulations until the minor works/electrical installation certificate have been provided) you should receive these BEFORE you pay.

You can start by asking which competent persons scheme they are a member of, and their membership number. You can then use this to check on-line to ensure they are actually a member, failing that give the scheme they claim to be a member of a call.

Unfortunately, your location isn't specific enough as there are country variations.

If a circuit is changed in a kitchen in England, they are only required to provide a Minor Works Certificate. In Wales a Minor Works Certificate is required along with a building control notification (as Wales still considers the kitchen a special location). If a new circuit is installed, you should expect an Electrical Installation Certificate and a building control notification.

In my interpretation of the regs (as in, the certificates are required by BS 7671 so it can be argued the work isn't complete and compliant with the wiring regulations until the minor works/electrical installation certificate have been provided) you should receive these BEFORE you pay.

Thanks for that. In England. Hence 'Minor works certificate'.
New cct? Likely. Adding UFH, moving oven, replaced lighting.
Not sure if that is classed as new circuitry?
<grin/> Agree - before the prime contractor is paid.

To be fair payment has nothing whatsoever to do with BS7671 and is merely a contractual matter. As such, I see no issue with someone stipulating that certification will be provided after payment is made. The key point is that this should all be agreed as part of the contract in advance so everyone knows where they stand.

Thanks for that. In England. Hence 'Minor works certificate'.
New cct? Likely. Adding UFH, moving oven, replaced lighting.
Not sure if that is classed as new circuitry?
<grin/> Agree - before the prime contractor is paid.
New Circuit = EIC
Alterations to existing circuit=MNWC

Last edited:
You should be aware that being a member of a scam (sorry scheme) is no guarantee that the person involved is either properly qualified or has the relevant experience. On the other hand, a person that is properly qualified and experienced, may not be a member but would be perfectly capable of doing the job to the letter of BS7671 and, depending on the job, have no need to be in a scheme. Just thought I would correct the impression that being in a scheme is any guarantee, as seems to be suggested above.

You should be aware that being a member of a scam (sorry scheme) is no guarantee that the person involved is either properly qualified or has the relevant experience. On the other hand, a person that is properly qualified and experienced, may not be a member but would be perfectly capable of doing the job to the letter of BS7671 and, depending on the job, have no need to be in a scheme. Just thought I would correct the impression that being in a scheme is any guarantee, as seems to be suggested above.

Unless you can think of a better way of assessing the competence of the person doing the work, I can only follow the advice

Unless you can think of a better way of assessing the competence of the person doing the work, I can only follow the advice
If it were me I wouldn't have just taken the kitchen fitters choice, I would have used an electrician that came recommended, independent of the kitchen fitter. You never know, it might BE the kitchen fitter!

Reply to Just checking... Qualified or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net