Discuss Just designed and launched a range of Switches & Sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DG599

-
Reaction score
Thanks to forum in the early days, and speaking to loads of local tradesmen I've launched 3 ranges of switches & sockets. Development cost was fairly significant in the tens of thousands £. All of you guys have very strong opinions on product after using it (why the hell's it like that?!), but I come from the manufacturing side of trying to make stuff better. I can share some details of the product development side if there's any interest. I can post some images/link if allowed.

Cheers

I'm always interested in new products and always offer my honest opinion on them. I'd like to see some pics please and some details of the improvements / benefits of your new design.

Added: provided, as Rob says, its ok with Admin and you follow the forum rules.

Think you'll need to speak to admin first before advertising your own products on the forum.

Are we going to be seeing you at any of the trade shows like Elex?

We are exhibiting at 100% design which is at the same time as Elex. :( Definately interested in exhibiting at specific trade electrician shows too though. - I ended up designing many more products beyond electrical.

Last edited:
I'm always interested in new products and always offer my honest opinion on them. I'd like to see some pics please and some details of the improvements / benefits of your new design.

Added: provided, as Rob says, its ok with Admin and you follow the forum rules.
Agree, I'll ask. I don't want a blatant ad!
[automerge]1567685232[/automerge]
What’s the company name so at least I can google you?
link in my profile, about bit
[automerge]1567686072[/automerge]
This isn't really about the features, but i think is quite interesting. For each small peice of folded metal in a component. There's probably about 5 in a switch. You need a very intricate tool that has about 10 sections in it. This turns round wire into squished and folded flat plate though multiple steps. So getting anything made, is very involved before looking at improving quality.

Attachments

• Just designed and launched a range of Switches & Sockets Capture13.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
    Capture13.PNG
    258.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Just designed and launched a range of Switches & Sockets Capture14.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
    Capture14.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Just designed and launched a range of Switches & Sockets Capture11.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
    Capture11.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks to forum in the early days, and speaking to loads of local tradesmen I've launched 3 ranges of switches & sockets. Development cost was fairly significant in the tens of thousands £. All of you guys have very strong opinions on product after using it (why the hell's it like that?!), but I come from the manufacturing side of trying to make stuff better. I can share some details of the product development side if there's any interest. I can post some images/link if allowed.

Cheers
Hi,

I'm okay with this running for now. It's on the line really. You've let the forum have a say in suggestions during design process, that's broderline market research. But I'd support any British business developing stuff. But now you're selling them? - So selling to and profiting from the members without contributing towards the running costs of hosting the development threads and discussion, and now sales threads and discussion, is just shady on the forum.

Perhaps consider posting a Promotional Thread at least: Your ads - https://www.electriciansforums.net/ads-manager/ads/

Maybe contribute by upgrading your account: https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/upgrades

Give back a bit to where you've had something from maybe.

Sponsorship is £2,500 per year. I'm sure that's out of your scope. But respect that other companies who benefit from being part of the forum HAVE taken that step. So just be mindful of that.

Note we monitor direct Conversation messages, and will remove your account if you're clocked selling via the system.

That's my take on it anyway.

*takes forum admin hat off

Well done for developing and launching a product. We need a lot more of that going on these days. The next Mr Dyson could be on this forum, and it could be you! If somebody has a crystal ball that shows you the future, let me know if this guy's a good bet and I'll invest. Wish I did with Dyson!

i hope OP is not going to be another dyson, mass producing over-priced rubbish , making them pink and purple to attract the female punters.

Thanks Dan, fair enough. Promo thread is the way to go I think. This wasn't in the marketing plan, to tie up forums. - Rather a place where I could give back some behind the scenes stuff that isnt very salesy. The challenges that we came up against, answering questions etc.
[automerge]1567690357[/automerge]
i hope OP is not going to be another dyson, mass producing over-priced rubbish , making them pink and purple to attract the female punters.
No doubt overpriced, but hopefully not rubbish ;)

Interesting but probably common situation. We're very good at discussing the merits of various products on this forum and this type of platform along with the other publicity streams like the plethora of sparks that are vlogging on youtube are obviously worth their weight in gold. I lost count of the number of times I've mentioned that the designer of a certain product had obviously given no consideration to those who have to fit it...and I'm very new to this game. £2.5k is probably well worth the while if trying to promote a product that tens of thousands have already been spent on developing.

I didn't want to say that but yeah.

A promo thread is fine mate.

Or even - go answer some threads at least. If you have some knowledge others don't, perhaps share that. I'd let it go with just that I think.

But we have a mad scientist per month come on our forums and we usually tell them develop it and come back as a sponsor, or pay for market research by way of being a sponsor, and posting threads related to collecting market research.

Research and Development will always cost a bomb. Why get it free here. And you knew what you were doing. You took the mods for a mug a bit there I think.

Anyway. Rant over. :p

Crack on however but it's a fine line you're walking.

But good luck with the products either way. That, we need more of in the industry.

you could always send me some FOC for evaluation... say 50 double sockets and a variety of switches. i'll promise you a good review. :p :p :p .

Go for it. Dare you get it reviewed online with Efixx / GSH electrical and the other cohorts. Send one to JW to try and blow up! :p

Out of interest, what makes your product better than the others already on the market @DG599. Just a broad overview, so we don’t conflict with forum rules?
I'll make a sponsored post soon, and write about them. - Better is a difficult term, we have chosen a market and quality standard and designed products to hopefully suit it. The job is always to get a better balance between the competing factors (& compromises) of price, specification, assembly, durability, ease of use etc. Most, if not all of the good product designers that I know of, dont like the products that they have made, as they always know the balance of compromise. The feeling that it could always be better

I think Dan has been very fair here, DG599, and i think you have taken that on board. However, if you have designed something we all want to use then advertising (paid for) on here could be a very significant step at not a lot of money. Folks on here are very quick to recommend stuff that makes life easier/better, and they are the professionals who use stuff every day for their livelihood...so where better to promote your wares?

Cheers
Can you send me a link or something so I can have a look at it?

I think Dan has been very fair here, DG599, and i think you have taken that on board. However, if you have designed something we all want to use then advertising (paid for) on here could be a very significant step at not a lot of money. Folks on here are very quick to recommend stuff that makes life easier/better, and they are the professionals who use stuff every day for their livelihood...so where better to promote your wares?
Agreed, Thanks Dan.

So then, take a look here if you would like to have a look..
Other thread

Reply to Just designed and launched a range of Switches & Sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock