Discuss Just done my AM2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

_danwest

Did my AM2 at the start of July, the College i did my apprenticeship with said that lots of people failed it, something like 80% didn't pass first time! I also found out that someone who passed all the other exams first time and never had any issues also failed! Well this didnt make me feel any better at all.

I can tell you now, there is nothing to worry about. I can't see why I got so worried about it. And found out last week that I have passed! There was only 4 of us in the room over the 3 days and it was a great laugh. The time flu by! If anyone is doing their AM2 and wants to ask any questions feel free.

It's a nice feeling isn't it! I am the same as you and really enjoyed it!

I had a battle though, and passed first time after appeal! Long story.

hey ,

congratulations to start with . . .

i started my install today :( not as bad as it built up to be . . .just i keep hearing different ways to do the lighting circuit ?how did you do yours ?

also the sy gland ? do you put the washers on the inside or outside with the braiding ? ( ive never made one off )

also any other tips would be helpful . . .

thanks

Sorry for the slow reply, just got back from a holiday

I had a battle though, and passed first time after appeal! Long story.

Great feeling! Heard so many rumors that its really hard and with my college saying 80 or something failed first time, i was bricking it, mainly due to the fact of how much the exam costs and retaking it would cost even more!

Appeal? Glad they passed ya tho :).

hey ,

congratulations to start with . . .

i started my install today :( not as bad as it built up to be . . .just i keep hearing different ways to do the lighting circuit ?how did you do yours ?

also the sy gland ? do you put the washers on the inside or outside with the braiding ? ( ive never made one off )

also any other tips would be helpful . . .

thanks

na it's not is it. Oh the lighting is really odd! the way we were asked to do it, made us use more cable than what was needed but i just followed what the diagram said.

I had two washers if i can remember correctly. I had never terminated one either. Glad i went to the revision class, we had ago terminating one then and it was pretty easy tbh.

As you posted ur post about 5 days ago, im guessing you have finished yours now, how did it go?

Hi. Ive just done my AM2 this week. Thought it all went real well then they told me I failed the whole installation because I used a C type instead of a B type on heating sytem. Im wanting to appeal against it. Think its very unfair failing me on that and that only. Just wondering how yo go about appealing? What did you appeal against? Ive been told it costs to appeal?? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

I didnt do it on purpose. It was a mistake. As I was rushing I just picked up a 6A breaker but didnt notice it was a C. Silly mistake as I was rushing. Thats what happens when you rush. Its unfair them failing me on just that.

Hi. Ive just done my AM2 this week. Thought it all went real well then they told me I failed the whole installation because I used a C type instead of a B type on heating sytem. Im wanting to appeal against it. Think its very unfair failing me on that and that only. Just wondering how yo go about appealing? What did you appeal against? Ive been told it costs to appeal?? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

. Ive just done my AM2 this week. Thought it all went real well then they told me I failed the whole installation because I used a C type instead of a B type on heating sytem. Im wanting to appeal against it. Think its very unfair failing me on that and that only. Just wondering how yo go about appealing? What did you appeal against? Ive been told it costs to appeal?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi, and unlucky!

Well, as i'm sure your aware, everything was very specifically stated. If you do decide to persue it, then I would probibly argue the case that what you did still complied with BS7671 (I assume Zs ect was low enough) and see where that gets you.

In my case I used 1.0mm as opposed to the 1.5mm hidden away in the cupboard. My mistake, however my training provider argued it and got it overturned.

Good luck

it is harsh, but should you not of noticed this when doing inspection and testing, im only asking cause i dont know how it is set out...

Sorry it's taken a long time to reply, I have been on holiday.

Ouch, the stupid silly things that catch you out, like the thermal cutout on the DOL. When I did mine i noticed that there were more breakers than needed so worked out there was a few tricks around to catch you out. You could try and appeal but being honest, I can't see it working as it should been a B. If you want to try tho, see your training provider and they should know. I know a few others who I was doing mine with failed on safe isolation twice! bad times. Keep us posted if you win the appeal.

Comments on the SY, push the braid so it flexes (bunches) around where the gland will be, loop the cable through this bunching and pull end through, all braid will be intact, sleeve and insert in MET.

What Im trying to say is pull the cable through the side of the braid,

Did my AM2 at the start of July, the College i did my apprenticeship with said that lots of people failed it, something like 80% didn't pass first time! I also found out that someone who passed all the other exams first time and never had any issues also failed! Well this didnt make me feel any better at all.

I can tell you now, there is nothing to worry about. I can't see why I got so worried about it. And found out last week that I have passed! There was only 4 of us in the room over the 3 days and it was a great laugh. The time flu by! If anyone is doing their AM2 and wants to ask any questions feel free.

Hi
got my am2 this week, can you tell me on the dol starter do they give you the current rateing of the motor to set the overload or do you have to work it out?

Thanks

Hi
got my am2 this week, can you tell me on the dol starter do they give you the current rateing of the motor to set the overload or do you have to work it out?

Thanks

Hey,

I was told by the examiner that as long as it's taken of "0" then you will be fine. I think i set mine to 1.5 (can't remember exactly as it was last year). don't stick it at the max as that is being silly. also make sure you choose the right Breaker types, they put a few C & D's in there to catch you out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 2330/2391 qualified and did a four year apprenticeship, need to do the AM2 to total finish the NVQ.

Just read the candidate self-assessment checklist and wondering whether to bother applying!

Heating systems? CO2 systems? Hell I've never even terminated an SY cable, just SWA as that's what everyone uses.

The data points may be OK as I have pulled in and terminated CAT5e with a punchdown tool, but I am not qualified in any way.

Just wondering if it's going to be a waste of money.

I'm 2330/2391 qualified and did a four year apprenticeship, need to do the AM2 to total finish the NVQ.

Just read the candidate self-assessment checklist and wondering whether to bother applying!

Heating systems? CO2 systems? Hell I've never even terminated an SY cable, just SWA as that's what everyone uses.

The data points may be OK as I have pulled in and terminated CAT5e with a punchdown tool, but I am not qualified in any way.

Just wondering if it's going to be a waste of money.

The heating system is easy, they provide you with a wiring digram you just need to wire a to a, b and to etc. I never did SY cable, but lucky enough i went to the revision day before the exam and they went thru everything to even terminating SY cable. The CAT5e is easy too, wire one end onto a socket and the other onto another socket using wiring T568B.

I wont be a waste of money as you need to do it to finish the NVQ. The only thing you will need to do after is do a 17th edition revision day @ £280. Very easy, do a bit of revision then an online test. I still need to do mine :/.

Thanks Dan, that's very reassuring.

The 17th edition part seems like a rip off as I did my 2382 17th update for £60!

Thanks Dan, that's very reassuring.

The 17th edition part seems like a rip off as I did my 2382 17th update for £60!
Oh really? hmm.. ill have to have another look into that then.

If the centre doing the AM2 does offer to do a revision day before the exam, do it. Its worth it. Last thing you want to do is fail the install or testing otherwise you will have to redo that part that will cost like £400. Also it reinsured me on the testing

Reply to Just done my AM2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock