Discuss Just don't understand why SELV pullcord won't work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a SELV pullcord extractor fan for my bathroom. I checked and 12v are running through where the old fan was so an SELV should work perfectly.

I've wired it up as per this photo, but it doesn't work when I pull the cord. Could anyone help me understand why? The current is flowing so there shouldn't be an issue should there?

fan.jpg

Can you post more information about the fan itself, like manufacturer and model number.

There is a third terminal which is sometimes a trigger terminal and it looks like there is a humidistat and a pull cord trigger/switch. Without knowing more about the fan there are a whole host of potential reasons it's not working.

Even though it's 12v, there is far too much copper on display at the terminations :)

think SC has it right. needs damp in the humid stat to fire it up. how high up is the fan? can you pi$$ that far? :eek::eek::eek:.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to find any information about this fan other than a ToolStation product page. Could you possibly upload an image of the installation instructions that covers the terminals?

Unfortunately I'm struggling to find any information about this fan other than a ToolStation product page. Could you possibly upload an image of the installation instructions that covers the terminals?

Here you go (thank you!):
IMG_9063.jpg IMG_9064.jpg

think SC has it right. needs damp in the humid stat to fire it up. how high up is the fan? can you pi$$ that far? :eek::eek::eek:.

It depends on how long it's been since I last went...

Just to confirm, you're definitely supplying 12volts AC?

The humidistat wouldn't normally stop it running, they usually override the pull switch/timer to keep humidity down to a set level.

Not sure on this particular model, but on some even if not using all 3 terminals you need to add a cross connection between the switched and permanent live terminals.
At bottom right side if you adjust the little round humidity dial to lowest setting, that may activate the fan. it could be set at wrong level.

I've recently purchased a SELV pullcord extractor fan for my bathroom. I checked and 12v are running through where the old fan was so an SELV should work perfectly.

I've wired it up as per this photo, but it doesn't work when I pull the cord. Could anyone help me understand why? The current is flowing so there shouldn't be an issue should there?

fan.jpg
Are those badly terminated incoming conductors actually making contact with the terminals?

Well 12V are registering on my detector, so presumably yes
What meter are you using to measure the voltage? have you tried testing for volts at 12v and 0v on the pcb? just to be sure not doubting you but have seen this sort of thing far to many time, fooled my self at times as well it's a simple mistake often over looked, worth a check I think.

What meter are you using to measure the voltage?

It is a Schneider Digital Multimeter

have you tried testing for volts at 12v and 0v on the pcb? just to be sure not doubting you but have seen this sort of thing far to many time, fooled my self at times as well it's a simple mistake often over looked, worth a check I think.

I have - I just checked again and I have 12V from the PCB and at the terminals - just nowhere else

It looks like the fan is supplied by Anda Products, there's a bit more detail on their website but nothing to suggest why yours doesn't work.

100mm SELV Low Profile Axial Fan with Pullcord, Humidistat and Shutter | Anda Products - http://www.anda.co.uk/products/ventilation/100mm-selv-low-profile-axial-fan-pullcord-humidistat-and-backdraught-shutter

It seems odd that terminal 3 has a wire connected to diode D3 on the board. but the connection isn't used for anything. You've done pretty much what you can by confirming 12V on the PCB, it should respond to the pull switch if power is on. I'd contact Toolstation and maybe Anda to see if they have any advice.

I used the 230V non pullcord version of this fan recently, and although it responded to me breathing directly onto the humidistat to test it, it never actually activated in a real life scenario, wherever the dial was set.

fan.jpg
You need to remake the connections at the terminal block for a start there is far too much copper showing SELV or not....

Googled APL (from label) and this comes from their website:
With a short span of time the company has expended its capacity & capabilities to meet market demand & quality requirements.
Sounds dodgy.....

Reply to Just don't understand why SELV pullcord won't work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net