Discuss Just dropped in to say hello. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Skotz

Just wanted to say hello to everyone on the forum as I think it is an excellent meeting place and source of electrical info. I am a time served electrician who started out in 1976 and it was my misfortune to become timeserved at the same time as Mrs Thatcher had just come into power and almost killed off the building industry. Any way I joined the airforce as an aircraft electrician and after serving for 25 years I am more than ready to leave for pastures new. Now it is my plan to get back on the tools and I can’t wait. I am doing my 16th edition, inspection and testing and also a 2 week DEI course as a refresher to see if I can still remember any of the old skills. Then its of to the SJIB to do the ECS ( I think its ECS ) exam so as I can get registered again. One question I would like to ask is do you guys think that the PAT course is a waste of effort and money as I have booked myself on one but am having second thoughts and might drop it for a short plastering course that might be more useful?
Anyway I just wanted to say hello to everyone and hopefully take an active part in the forum.

Firstly welcome crab ;), stay & partake as this does seem to be one of the better forums for new & experienced sparks.

P.A.T mind numbingly boring but worth having the C&G qual i suppose.
I'd say the plastering course would be of more benefit & dare i say more income than port appliance testing (reminds me I must tap up my old man for plastering teaching before he retires) as you can quote to fill your own chases.

Welcome friend - 1976 and I was just starting school!:D
I would drop the PAT testing as totally worthless now and the plastering course will probs serve you better;)

Skotz,

aircraft lecky?

us ground leckies used to 'ave you for breakfast.....:p:p

just finished 23 and bit years myself.;)

I teach 2377 PAT testing. To be honest, i'm stopping teaching it to my EAL Domestic Installer students unless they specifically want it.

PAT testers outside are on mimimum wage, and to make any serous dollars you would need to be hitting 80 appliances a day. Most full time PAT testers die young, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO! :eek:

cowboys out these are tendering for contracts at 75p an item.

No thanks...

Hi Skotz,

Welcome to the forum/site. Your absolutely right, this is a great place for both new and experienced to come and talk/share opinions etc. Hope to see you around here often.

Thanks to you all for saying hi and making me feel welcome. Seems to be a few ex forces here as well which should be good for banter.

Thanks for the advice about PAT testing to be honest it's what I thought myself about it you have helped me make up my mind. Now to find a plastering course.

Tony - ground leckies yeah I suppose they were useful if you wanted a power lead changed on a hoover. Anyway thanks for saying hello hopefully speak to you all later.

Reply to Just dropped in to say hello. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock