Discuss Just fell off me chair is shock!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Priced a little job a week or two ago. New kitchen going in, so wanted a few sockets moving around and a few adding for new fridge, diswasher etc. No RCD protection so circuit need an RCBO (Hager).

Anyway, not heard anything since and the reason is the quote was way over the top apparently. Rung the woman today. They have someone to do it for £145!:bomb2:

So i wished them luck and said bite their hand off.

Priced a little job a week or two ago. New kitchen going in, so wanted a few sockets moving around and a few adding for new fridge, diswasher etc. No RCD protection so circuit need an RCBO (Hager).

Anyway, not heard anything since and the reason is the quote was way over the top apparently. Rung the woman today. They have someone to do it for £145!:bomb2:

So i wished them luck and said bite their hand off.

Is that materials included....Sure she didn't want a counter offer...

Make me wonder if the other guy knows what hes doing. Hes probably an expert at the good old spur of a spur of a spur method!

House is only round the corner so will keep an eye out for a van and see what the crack is.

I've had a similar experience recently:

someone near me having a large 7 room extension on their 3 bed semi. Adding a 65 grand extension with new office, utility, WC, family room, master bedroom with ensuite and new bathroom on second floor. Virtually doubling the size of the place. Also wanted new CU for whole house. Four extract fans (2 via loft) and smokes/heat system required. At least one TV point and 7 outside light points. Was requested to use good quality accessories.

My estimate = £4300 all in

I was too expensive. The alternative quote = £2000.
I cannot believe they are comparing like to like.
if they'd said £3500 I could have tweaked a bit to around £3700. But 2 grand!! Someones takin' the ****.
I had £970 in materials alone!

Last edited by a moderator:
To me is you get estimates that differ so much, you just know the lower price will be sub standard, and we're talking about peoples houses here.

Are you guys VAT registered? Are you bidding against sole traders?

someone near me having a large 7 room extension on their 3 bed semi. Adding a 65 grand extension with new office, utility, WC, family room, master bedroom with ensuite and new bathroom on second floor. Virtually doubling the size of the place. Also wanted new CU for whole house. Four extract fans (2 via loft) and smokes/heat system required. At least one TV point and 7 outside light points. Was requested to use good quality accessories.

if they'd said £3500 I could have tweaked a bit to around £3700. But 2 grand!! Someones takin' the pi$$.

Someones happy to use crap materials and work for a grand. Probably got a couple of poor young lads beeing paid cash for the donkey work

they wont get the job you were going to do i bet you any money its 45p sockets , i msorry i wont use cheap , use cheap pay twice simples people will learn eventually

if they'd said £3500 I could have tweaked a bit to around £3700. But 2 grand!! Someones takin' the pi$$.

£2000 for the job and "good quality accessories" - no way, must be cash in hand job from the client and cash in hand job for the poor sxds doing the work for minimum wage.

Again, I really don't understand why somebody would go for such a cheap offer in their home, especially if they are spending so much on the extension.

Sounds similar to a family member who lives in Ireland. He ended up paying 12,000 euro for his electrics. All brushed chrome. Accessories, underfloor heating the lot. He had quotes of 7,000 euro etc. But chose to go with the more expensive. Pictures I've seen spot on Job!

Even with 20% vat m8 its a long way off. Its same here idiots or very desperate folk working for not a lot. I have recently seen a job that was done to spec and very well done TBH fair play to him. The guy that did it is obviously desperate for the money and needs all he can get, lets all hope we never end up down that road.
To me is you get estimates that differ so much, you just know the lower price will be sub standard, and we're talking about peoples houses here.

Are you guys VAT registered? Are you bidding against sole traders?

left a job early last year, new installation in 3 refurbished cottages, each with a new extension to make them all 3 beds....

it was on day rate, and I put my lad in there, the spec kept changing, then it was downlights all over.....

but I kept an eye on the price and was keeping them below £3500 each, and had let him know that.... builder laid into me one day, saying he had had a quote of £1200 a piece... we were more than that each for materials

ended up in a stalemate waiting to get paid, and waiting for new supplies.... supplies went in, he paid the stage payment and we walked away and left him to it.....

cannot be doing with arguing over quotes

Ive had a similar one with a friend on a 3-bed re-wire, quoted him for labour only, ran through it with him and he clearly didnt knw what he needs at all, so took what he said he wanted and added what he actually needs all together in quote. Told him he can use my suppliers etc etc.
Gave a more than fair price for the job he would recieve, well, he asks another friend who I know who says he will do it for same price ALL IN!!!! Well I told him to go for it.
How do you compare with someone who prices without seeing the job?! I knew it didnt matter what price I said, this guy would be lower. He thought I was going to say ok, ill do it for that. Na na na I dont think so.

I have been called to jobs behind this other electrician before..............hahaha cant wait!

Reply to Just fell off me chair is shock!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net