Pete's Videos Just out of interest

Discuss Just out of interest in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was anyone that did an Apprenticeship back in the day ever get taught how to solder splices like these shown in the vid?
Only asking for interests sake, no other reason.

That takes me back. Yup, I was shown similar when I was young! Didn't have the solder gun though. Just a normal iron. Also ways of making a joint that wouldn't, or at least shouldn't come undone without solder. 'T'ing flexi cable by stripping the insulation off the continuous cable and spread the cores with a screwdriver so that you have a slot in them. Strip back the cable you want to connect, split it into 2 equal amounts and twist the cores into two twisted sections. Poke one through the slot and wind anti clockwise. The other section twist around the whole lot in a clockwise direction. Hope that makes sense?

Didn’t they have different names as well - I wasn’t there of course but the guy who mentored me would talk of it.

I can't remember any joint names from that far back. I have trouble remembering what I ate earlier in the day :confused:

That takes me back. Yup, I was shown similar when I was young! Didn't have the solder gun though. Just a normal iron. Also ways of making a joint that wouldn't, or at least shouldn't come undone without solder. 'T'ing flexi cable by stripping the insulation off the continuous cable and spread the cores with a screwdriver so that you have a slot in them. Strip back the cable you want to connect, split it into 2 equal amounts and twist the cores into two twisted sections. Poke one through the slot and wind anti clockwise. The other section twist around the whole lot in a clockwise direction. Hope that makes sense?
Yes I can still smell the solder, flux and burnt insulation, if I close my eyes and think about it, was even taught how to solder two pieces of thin copper together and, (I can even recall his name, Eric Woodward), the lecturer would arrive with 2 pairs of pliers to try and pull them apart. woo betide you if there were any areas not covered with solder, happy days, now where are the tissues, need to dry my eyes?

I have actually seen this been done, around 10-12 years ago.

A recycleing plant bought a large motor which wasnt working, cant remember what it was for, some king of crushing machine. However we were running in the new supplies whilst a specilist was testing and rewiring parts of the motor. He used the method where there parellel with the additional cable wrapped round, soldered and heat sleeved. Really old school bloke he was around retirememnt age, was good to see in my later stages of apprentiship.

Reply to Just out of interest in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock