Discuss Just Passed! Next Qualification ??? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just Passed! Next Qualification ???

So last month i passed my Achievement Measurement 2 (AM2)
with N.E.T

I work in a commercial / industrial background mainly maintenance but some installation

now i'm wondering what to do next,

I really want to go down the high voltage / substations route but unsure of what qualifications or exam body to train with.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

I would suggest the 2391 next.
You’ve just done the AM2 and I assume not long done your core qualifications, so what you’ve learnt will still be fresh in your mind.
You just need the basic formulae for the 2391, volt drop, Ohm’s law and the Megaohm formula.
Probably a good idea to get GN3 as well.

As for working in power plants and substations, look into what’s required to become an Approved Person.
High Voltage (HV) Authorised Person Commercial Course - http://www.developtraining.co.uk/courses/electrical/authorised-person-hv-high-voltage-commercial

I remember saying the same thing,to me mum....after i did my cycling proficiency badge...cost me a lot of time,buried in books...

Well done,though,and i would say the 2391 is a good call.

I would suggest the 2391 next.
You’ve just done the AM2 and I assume not long done your core qualifications, so what you’ve learnt will still be fresh in your mind.
You just need the basic formulae for the 2391, volt drop, Ohm’s law and the Megaohm formula.
Probably a good idea to get GN3 as well.

As for working in power plants and substations, look into what’s required to become an Approved Person.
High Voltage (HV) Authorised Person Commercial Course - http://www.developtraining.co.uk/courses/electrical/authorised-person-hv-high-voltage-commercial

51701"]What's this then?[/QUOTE]
Yeah not heard of that one, what is it? as for AP duties, it depends on on what work you intend doing.
If it's switching duties on a HV Ring Main or a HV Radial leg, the jus doing the course is not ideal.
You will need to complete the course, pass the written and practical examination, satisfy the Authorising Engineer from your Parent body that you are proficient in these duties, you will need to be able to write up Switching programs, issue PtoW, and re qualify after 3 years, which in my case was a shortened course, failure to pass this re qualification means you will have your AP ticket revoked, this will apply to LV AP duties as well.

I don’t know why that says Approved person instead of Authorised?
The Megaohm one, resistors in parallel.
Four circuits with insulation resistance of 80 Mohms, 60 Mohms, 40 Mohms and 30Mohms.
What would be the expected Insulation resistance when all four circuits are tested together?

Ok, you just mean adding resistances in parallel.

Not really a formula, just basic math.

But for the trainees:

1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + .......

R1 in this case is just resistance 1 and so on, Rt is resistance total.

It's probably an understanding the IR exercise.
Also it's something basic that all Electricians should understand and be able to calculate, as Rob mentions in his reply, it's just a basic formulae.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP so Id like some insight into the same paths. I'm starting to show interest in the HV side of things. Not sure if it's the route I'd like to actually take but I'm very interested in it.

Some good information about the courses they offer.

Does anyone have information about the benefits of going down this route? What sort of roles are available? Working in distribution? DNO?

Some good information about the courses they offer.

Does anyone have information about the benefits of going down this route? What sort of roles are available? Working in distribution? DNO?
Not just DNOs many factories, the armed forces, facility companies employ APs both HV and LV imo LV /AP duties are just as challenging as HV even more so sometimes

I would avoid the Develop courses if you can it next to useless. They carry out training (Derby and Swindon) without ever seeing any switch gear (they do have switch gear at York). The training at E-ON are just up the road from Leicester at the power station are very good.

Reply to Just Passed! Next Qualification ??? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock