Discuss just registered and quick question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

ljw

Just to say hi. New here and have a quick question-
My friend lives upstairs in a masonette so her front door and consumer unit are downstairs in her hall way.
She asked if I could put a switched socket coming out of the cupboard where the cu lives.
finally got to the question- would it be ok to run this 1 switched socket straight into the consumer unit and can I use the existing ring main rcd to come out of.
Any help- thanks

My friend lives upstairs in a masonette so her front door and consumer unit are downstairs in her hall way.
She asked if I could put a switched socket coming out of the cupboard where the cu lives.
finally got to the question- would it be ok to run this 1 switched socket straight into the consumer unit and can I use the existing ring main rcd to come out of.
Any help- thanks

Yes you can come from the existing ring circuit from the circuit breaker

Any help- thanks
I wouldn't recommend coming straight out of the RCD you won't have any overcurrent protection.

Would be better to come from the ringmain MCB rather than connecting directly to the RCD tbh.

Maybe connect it to the 3rd or 4th MCB on the righthand side of the lefthand RCD making sure the black cable connects with all the other black cable's (there may be some bluey coloured cables there also).

IF any of the above is alittle confusing.....i'd suggest getting a qualified sparks in and get the job done properly before anyone ends up body popping along the hallway.

Maybe we should mention safe isolation procedure. If you don't know how to test for safe isolation don't even think about going any further. If you do then yes you can come off mcb. Be safe.
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

love the sarcastic comments so far. can't wait till the beer has been imbibed to get some really cutting posts.

IF any of the above is alittle confusing.....i'd suggest getting a qualified sparks in and get the job done properly before anyone ends up body popping along the hallway.
Or you end up with bodies in the hallway:)

well, i'm in a good mood tonight. 1st decent day's work in 2 weeks just done. paid on the nail, just got to complete his cert.

well, i'm in a good mood tonight. 1st decent day's work in 2 weeks just done. paid on the nail, just got to complete his cert.

Its always good to finish the week on a positive note. Been really busy Mon - Thurs this week and have spent most of today doing invoices, certs and estimates so next week is looking good too.

The glass is half full.

Thing is biff, read through the question. The bit that says "Can I use the ring main RCD" concerns me (and probably a few others)
You can picture the scene, OP removes cover from CU and de-energises, with no test gear how is he/she going to know that it's safe to work on? Then sees the letters RCD and starts to connect cables to that instead of an MCB, which side do they go into?
That's why I'm guessing the "default advice" came out.
Is it not our duty as qualified guys to give the best advice we can? Sometimes it has to be the "default"

Thing is biff, read through the question. The bit that says "Can I use the ring main RCD" concerns me (and probably a few others)
You can picture the scene, OP removes cover from CU and de-energises, with no test gear how is he/she going to know that it's safe to work on? Then sees the letters RCD and starts to connect cables to that instead of an MCB, which side do they go into?
That's why I'm guessing the "default advice" came out.
Is it not our duty as qualified guys to give the best advice we can? Sometimes it has to be the "default"

Im not saying the advice is wrong Trev , im saying that giving that reply makes for a really dull forum.
And i'll leave you with 1 point to consider - to join a domestic installer scam you need the 17th edition qual - thats it as far as training goes
I really dont think its that big a step up from a diyer to be honest.

Reply to just registered and quick question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock