Discuss Just started my course, basics help please. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MrTrance

Hi, I no throughout the year I will learn all this but could someone help me on the following subjects because I think my tutor expects us to actually no all this.. (he's at his retiring stage):

I don't understand the Earth cable at all (its job etc)

I don't no what a transformer is, or its job, does it work like a fuse?

Also for example, is 230V the current of my house, and whats AMP for, I get confused with volts, ampere and current, It will come to me some day.

By the way no abusive comments please, just joined and only been doing my course for 6 days.

Thanks a lot people,
Micky

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry just being silly (please dont take offense :)) even though im not all that knowledgable, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty in your shoes at college and it never hurts to read some books on the basics to get you a head start:)

Hope you forgive my childishness

We all started somewhere so please don't feel daft - ask away. Any spark who says he knows it all ain't done it all. Everyday is a school day. Best advice I can give is to participate on forums like this and read up as many text books as you can. Knowledge is power!

just taken a look at the link monty should help (brought some memories!!)
the earth is to connect exposed metal to the mass of Earth .the idea is if there was a fault and that metal became live then enough current would flow to trip the fuse/mcb in simple terms.
a transformer is for stepping up or down ac voltage

Thanks Monty, I shall have a more detailed browse of that when I have more time and patience, looks complicated!

Were can I buy these text books from, I would lend them from the library at college but then my mates might think I'm a geek for wanting to do my best.

just taken a look at the link monty should help (brought some memories!!)
the earth is to connect exposed metal to the mass of Earth .the idea is if there was a fault and that metal became live then enough current would flow to trip the fuse/mcb in simple terms.
a transformer is for stepping up or down ac voltage

What does trip mean and also do u mean the earth just sends the current to the mass of earth so it doesnt do no hard to any objects?

I understand transformer now, thanks mate :)

amazon or ebay,i thought nippers were weened on these websites these days
of course any large bookstore (waterstones) would be able to help

trip as in operate to stop the flow of current

sends the current to the mass of earth so it doesnt do no hard to any objects?

allows a large current to flow so the mcb willtrip

Were can I buy these text books from, I would lend them from the library at college but then my mates might think I'm a geek for wanting to do my best.

Nothing wrong with that mate!

Welcome to the site, I'm in the same boat as you. Started my 2330 3weeks ago, on day release, but I'm 29.

Loads of info on here and loads of good guys too (and the very occasional female).

Me, I am always on forums, I own 2 music forums and I have quite a big account on ebay (only 16 though).

Will have a browse on ebay.

this should help matey!

Ground (electricity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Transformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and just think, if you really get your head down and get get all the work done in advance and get that NVQ3 knocked out asap (start now!) you might be able to get the course done in a shorter time. Thats what i did and got it done in about 2 years.

There will be alot of people in your class that are just there for something to do, dont be one of them!

Hi Micky

First off well done for having the balls to ask the questions you asked. It takes some guts to put yourself up for a potential p*ss take.

The links you have been given are good and hopefully will start to give you some idea of the answers you are looking for.

You will find that as you do your course many of your questions will be answered if they are not do not be afraid to ask either your course instructor or on this site. There are people on this forum who have experience on giving training courses as well as practical experience and there are masses on here who have come through similar experiences to what you are now starting on.

We've all been new to the game at some time or other it's just that sometimes we forget how green we were.

As I said, others have given you some links to look at, have a scan of those and see how much sense you can make of them. Any problems or questions just come back to us and ask, we will try to help where we can, there may be a few odd comments but we do not mean any harm.

Good luck with your course and your future and keep posting updates on how you are doing. There are several others who are in a similar position on their course.

Tony

Good way to look at it, im in my last year of course and wouldnt be here if i didnt ask questions. Can garentee if you dont understand something at least one other in class wont.

Reply to Just started my course, basics help please. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock