Discuss Just the beginning....... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all! Just joined in here, I've been time served as a maintenance electrician for 8 years with my background mostly in industrial/commercial equipment. Started to get the itch that I would like to be my own boss and so hoping to start self employed at some point in the future, working shifts just now gives me time off to get on with work on the side. Any advice from people who have been in my position would be gratefully received although I will probably start a new thread for that.

CK

how come they join the forum I cant find their information ?
I think its possibly to do with moderation to stop all the spam etc we have been getting, but it looks like for new members it's the default forum setting at present, rather than the new user trying to hide their information away

Some terrible judgemental people on here.

Get onto a Checkatrade or other trade marketing scheme, these will get you work while you build up a client base.

You’ll be working every min you can spare and expect to cut down your spending for upto 6 - 12 months.

If you are good at your job, have good customer service skill and work well with others and do faves etc you’ll be fine for work there after.

I disagree. We used Checkatrade this year for the first time and had an average of 5 job of it a month. Some quite big work at times.

If you invest the time to get reviews, photos and answer emails then work is plentiful.

Well @ck_spark_1990 Does your current employer know about this?
Do you have Public Liability Insurance?
Do you have appropriate test Equipment?
Does HMRC know about this?

I'd recommend starting as you intend to carry on. All work through the books, tested and certs issued. If doing it for cash in hand at the minute, as soon as you actually take the leap and go it alone you may lose a lot of your customer base as you need to put prices up.

Well @ck_spark_1990 Does your current employer know about this?
Do you have Public Liability Insurance?
Do you have appropriate test Equipment?
Does HMRC know about this?

I'd recommend starting as you intend to carry on. All work through the books, tested and certs issued. If doing it for cash in hand at the minute, as soon as you actually take the leap and go it alone you may lose a lot of your customer base as you need to put prices up.

Thanks thats helpful I have been reading a lot but it’s better to hear from someone who has been there! My employer doesn’t know my intention is to finally leave but is aware of me doing jobs for people outside. My tester is calibrated regularly and yes it’s mostly cash just now as it’s small jobs for friends and family. I know that’s no excuse though and that moving forward I’ll need insurance etc. I completely understand what you mean about rates and the like, bit more preparation and research required before I go further! Thank you all for your input!

You probably won't like this but here goes, it is not as easy as most people think this whole being your own boss. Sounds good but the reality is it is an uphill struggle, I have been working my nuts off for ten months now and I have made a very small profit after overheads. I am lucky as I have other 'income' streams for the purchase of beer and other essentials but I sometimes wonder if it is worth actually going out to work. The jury is out for me but I sometimes think having an employer may be a better option!

Welcome to the forum @ck_spark_1990 enjoy the forum, the banter, givevas good as you get - this lot are only trying to toughen you up! You’re lucky it’s just a forum or you’d have megger leads on your nuts by now.
All the best with the transition - as @rolyberkin states, working for someone is a comfort but as you are thinking of going it alone, it’s obviously not for you now.
Do your research, get some insurance and when the times right HMRC yourself ‘right up’ and make the jump.
A baby gannet is called a jumpling because at some point they have to go from the safety of the cliff Home to the sea for the rest of their lives - the point is the timing, too early and the rocks below take you but just right and your new life starts. You only know that time!
I watch too much TV

Reply to Just the beginning....... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net