Discuss Just to clarify... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdd

Regular EF Member
So long has gone by now I am slightly confused why part p was set up in the first place.:confused5:

If Joe Bloggs knows NOTHING at all about 'electrics'. Can he walk in to a college and walk out 5 weeks later as a qualified spark? If so, what qualifications would he hold? Could he now theoretically rewire a house? and do all aspects of domestic work.

I thought Part P was set up to get rid of the cowboy electricians???

Your valuable thoughts please to stop me going insane...

Last edited:

SKY

Regular EF Member
Only really need 17th edition - 3 day course on how to read the book in reality.

ipf

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
So long has gone by now I am slightly confused why part p was set up in the first place.:confused5:

If Joe Bloggs knows NOTHING at all about 'electrics'. Can he walk in to a college and walk out 5 weeks later as a qualified spark? If so, what qualifications would he hold? Could he now theoretically rewire a house? and do all aspects of domestic work.

I thought Part P was set up to get rid of the cowboy electricians???

Your valuable thoughts please to stop be going insane...
Are they paying for a sheriff's badge ?

Last edited:
OP
jdd

jdd

Regular EF Member
Just having the 17th edition doesn't make you qualified though. How would that prove competence? (ie - I could train my wife to pass the 17th edition in a night... seriously.)

E

Edd

I still cant work it out,, 4 years training,(25 years ago),, Ok failed 1 year as I spent 90% of it down the pub and would have failed even if i passed the Exam due to attendance.
Then to find out I waisted all that time and could have passed by just doing a 5 week cource (I know this is new)!! then the JIB see me as an improver! and then the council now want me to spend money proving myself? (done it so no wories there) but a nobody can spend 5 weeks training and then work as an ELECTRICAL ENGINEER,,, Somthing really is screwed up.. Looks Like I should have spent the other 3 Years down the pub!! would love to see a 5 weeker on a 3 phase motor install..Squirel cages eat your heart out!!

Brightspark2

Regular EF Member
Its not all bad though is it....

It has cut down on the people who do actually know nothing doing electrical work...kitchen fitters, builders, handymen etc just saying yeh I can do that no problem and then just making a mess of it. Ive seen some awful work in houses, mainly by kitchen fitters.

Least the Electrical Trainee's know more than previous people.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
3 phase motor install..

got one of those tomorrow. 2 elevator motors on a grain drying machine, local farm. just got the contactors and overloads from lockwells today. only place for miles that stocks them with 110v coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Black

Votes: 33 34.0%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.