Discuss Just took my 2391 theory exam tonight! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gman67

Hi guys,

Just took my 2391 theory exam tonight and feel dead positive about it, I think I smashed it! I would actually deserve to pass it because of all the efforts I've put in revising during the last three months.:rolleyes4:

However, I am now obviously thinking about all the stuff I put on the paper and although I managed to answer all the questions quite easily, I remember using two terminologies I am not sure about (I am actually French and have only lived in the country for 4 years so still hesitate with correct english words to employ sometimes)

• While describing in details a RCD test, I said "plug-in cordon" instead of plug-in cord or adaptor. I know now cordon doesn't mean nothing in terms of electrical glossary but I hope the examiner will understand what I meant! ????:nonod:
  • While describing in details a continuity of ring final circuit, I ended by saying "reconnect the conductors at the d.b" and "Reinstate the circuit" instead of saying "re-energise the circuit". I am not sure whether "reinstate the circuit" means the same as "re-energise the circuit"???:nonod:
So my questions are the following:
  • Do you think those two small english vocabulary mistakes could jeapardise the whole answer in which they were included?
P.S: I know it's petty stuff I am worrying about but I can't help it, i need to know :p

Merci my friends sparkies

Have just taken also and i'm sure it was a RCD test on the lighting circuit therefore the 3 lead attachment would of been used?!

As for the vocabulary mistakes......its pot luck mate but the C&G are quite anel as to what 'terms' they want as a response.

I took mine tonight as well and the test was on a lighting circuit, which I said had to be tested at the RCBO!!

What about the test sequence on the new ring main?

Ha ha ha......umm......i tested at a convienient light!

Test sequence i wrote:
Continuity of circuit protective conductors
Ring final continuity
Insulation Resistance
Polarity
Zs
RCD
Functional
??

The scenario said that a new ring main had been installed which incorporated 8 socket outlet, an electric shower and 10 SELV luminaires fed from transformers!

My sequence was

Cont of cpc
Cont of ring final conductors
IR
Protection by SELV Pelv and el sep
EFLI
Additional protection
Zs

Ha ha ha......umm......i tested at a convienient light!

Test sequence i wrote:
Continuity of circuit protective conductors
Ring final continuity
Insulation Resistance
Polarity
Zs
RCD
Functional
??

You can't test the RCBO from the lighting point, that's what I thought anyway!

Have just taken also and i'm sure it was a RCD test on the lighting circuit therefore the 3 lead attachment would of been used?!

As for the vocabulary mistakes......its pot luck mate but the C&G are quite anel as to what 'terms' they want as a response.

Yes, that's it it was on the lighting circuit! Oh well, I might be marked down on my vocabulary but in terms of the inspection and testing side of it, I smashed it!

The scenario said that a new ring main had been installed which incorporated 8 socket outlet, an electric shower and 10 SELV luminaires fed from transformers!

My sequence was

Cont of cpc
Cont of ring final conductors
IR
Protection by SELV Pelv and el sep
EFLI
Additional protection
Zs

Dammit, you right I forgot there was a SELV lighting circuit on the ring, ****!!!!!!

What about R1+R2 measurement of the SWA cable, have you all thought about disconnection the earthed armouring of cable before proceeding to measurements????

But if you test R1 + R2 you link L-cpc at board and test btw l- cpc on other side, the bonding doesn't come into it!

Yes, it unfortunately comes into account because it may be an earth parallel path which could reduce your measured value of R1+R2 so you should always disconnect any parallel earth path before carrying any continuity of cpc, especially on a SWA as its armouring is earthed (when not used as cpc which was the case in the scenario)

But surely parallel earth paths won't play a factor because you have disconnected your cpc at db in order to link it to line! All you are testing is the cpc and line conductors!!

But surely parallel earth paths won't play a factor because you have disconnected your cpc at db in order to link it to line! All you are testing is the cpc and line conductors!!

In practical you might be right but what they wanna see on the paper is you, being cautious about any potential parallel path which could be induced by armouring of the cable (page 34 GN3).

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Just took my 2391 theory exam tonight! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net