Discuss Just wondered how busy everyone is at the moment? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I went quiet over the initial covid period but since then I have been steadily getting busier and busier and now have 2 months of work booked in which is the most I have ever had. Bear in mind I am a one man band, purely domestic, 2 months is a long time. In fact it's too long as if a regular customer rings up they have to wait 2 months.

Just wondering if it's just me or if others are more busy than usual at the moment, same as usual or less?

Likewise very very busy, it's like the whole country suddenly woke up all at once! Mainly commercial and agricultural for me although the domestic is starting to get busy for me as the nights draw in and everyone realizes their outside lights don't work anymore!

Never been busier, I was looking at the accounts compared to last year in quickbooks and I am several thousand up on same time last year, despite paying myself more and forking out for a new van lease, with van being delivered in around 2 weeks, needed bigger one due to amount of stuff i got to carry.
Downside if this carries on I have to register for damn VAT within a few months as turnover has kept going up due to car chargers at nearly 1k a pop. got some customers to buy it themselves!!
I cant figure it out, as there is talk of recession etc but at same time customers keep ringing for stuff, so much so i am having to turn people away due to being so busy.
got loads of EICRS booked in, then some remedial work to carry out. Car chargers installs keep coming along and then the usual lights, sockets etc people want doing.
Commercial work in shops etc has largely stopped in Bath at the moment, domestic is booming. If there is a recession it hasnt affected people in Bath yet.

Same here. Busiest I’ve been in 3 years. When lockdown hit I was actually looking for a PAYE job and had an interview. Kinda glad they turned me down now.
juggling several jobs a week. I still need to be flexible as other trades are... I can’t commit to a certain day unless the joiners been in first, for example.... and they never come the day they say.
Luckily got plenty little hour or two jobs I can fit in on a quiet day.

Busy busy busy. Got a lot more call outs recently aswell. Just done my 2919 aswell, in the middle of doing the whole OLEV scheme application stuff ready to fully push car chargers aswell.

I would say less work now than before lockdown , certainly less than I would like. my usual customer who I did lots of maitenance work for went out of business as it Was mainly in hospitality settings so that has cost me a large amount of regular easy work. Which was a shame as we worked Really well together.

on the flip side my brother in law is a gardener and he is absolutely flat out 6 days a week sometimes 7. He even put his prices up 20% post lockdown and still turning work away.
He is pricing jobs crazy high and still winning them.
he reckons on a good day can clear 600 quid, which is ridiculous really when you think about it...
[automerge]1601050007[/automerge]
I remember I was working doing new installation for a high end housing developer in 2006-2009 during the financial crash / recession and we never stopped. I was even working Saturdays for them to keep up infront of the dryliners.
it seems certain sectors feel less impact than others during a recession...
[automerge]1601051521[/automerge]
I went quiet over the initial covid period but since then I have been steadily getting busier and busier and now have 2 months of work booked in which is the most I have ever had. Bear in mind I am a one man band, purely domestic, 2 months is a long time. In fact it's too long as if a regular customer rings up they have to wait 2 months.

Just wondering if it's just me or if others are more busy than usual at the moment, same as usual or less?
not really , I got a quote back in June for a new front door from a local glazing company and I’m still waiting for a fitting date

Last edited:
Busy busy busy. Got a lot more call outs recently aswell. Just done my 2919 aswell, in the middle of doing the whole OLEV scheme application stuff ready to fully push car chargers aswell.
The OLEV process is now a lot easier, you dont actually need manufacturers approval anymore, just have to upload the usual insurance, scheme membership, course cert etc...
[automerge]1601057592[/automerge]
I would say less work now than before lockdown , certainly less than I would like. my usual customer who I did lots of maitenance work for went out of business as it Was mainly in hospitality settings so that has cost me a large amount of regular easy work. Which was a shame as we worked Really well together.

on the flip side my brother in law is a gardener and he is absolutely flat out 6 days a week sometimes 7. He even put his prices up 20% post lockdown and still turning work away.
He is pricing jobs crazy high and still winning them.
he reckons on a good day can clear 600 quid, which is ridiculous really when you think about it...
[automerge]1601050007[/automerge]
I remember I was working doing new installation for a high end housing developer in 2006-2009 during the financial crash / recession and we never stopped. I was even working Saturdays for them to keep up infront of the dryliners.
it seems certain sectors feel less impact than others during a recession...
[automerge]1601051521[/automerge]

not really , I got a quote back in June for a new front door from a local glazing company and I’m still waiting for a fitting date
I have been working 6 days a week for the last 3 months just keeping up with work. got loads of quotes to write up aswell.

Well, almost everyone seems to be crazy busy. Perhaps a covid backlog.

Good to read most are pretty busy , as much as Covid kicked our butts back in lockdown , there is still plenty of money being spent t it seems...
loads of big extensions , new driveways , building works going on in my area.
infact a few guys I have spoken to have all substantially increases their prices and Still very busy...
im speaking to a guy next week about taking on some of the work he is too busy to do himself...

The OLEV process is now a lot easier, you dont actually need manufacturers approval anymore, just have to upload the usual insurance, scheme membership, course cert etc...
[automerge]1601057592[/automerge]
I have been working 6 days a week for the last 3 months just keeping up with work. got loads of quotes to write up aswell.
Interesting, I passed the course 2 weeks ago and have been speaking to Rolec about partnering with them. I have purchased the Rolec tested which they require and just waiting on the Cert from C&G. We’re looking at really marketing the OLEV, not many near me have it and although it’s a ballach i think it will give us the edge.

I remember a sparky telling me just keep increasing your prices each month until you stop winning every job. When you only win about half your job quotes then you are about the right price...

Never been busier, took 14 phone calls/emails from Checkatrade yesterday......had to sack someone today though which hurt on a personal level and is also going to hurt business until I can replace ?

did you fire yourself ...:eek:
I’ve considered it a few times ?....it’s just not a nice thing to do but how many chances do you give someone especially when it starts affecting a business you’ve invested years in....

Its gone mental my end, just bailed someone out at 1days notice to wire an air source heating install... I shouldn't be doing 14hr days at my age ?, I can't even spend it when I get home, ruddy 90mins left serving in the pub

Reply to Just wondered how busy everyone is at the moment? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock