Discuss K1 and K2 Flashing - Sick Safety Relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jamie3032

Hi, I am currently having problems with a sick safety relay not resetting, I can make it set (Energise) by applying 24VDC to K1 and K2 inputs, however when I try to make it reset using the PNP output from a retro-reflective sensor the K1 and K2 indicators flash? Any ideas? thanks

Post the model no' of the relay as this may determine its operational functions and we can better tailor the replies. Is this a problem on a pre-existing circuit or are you wiring it up fresh yourself and having set-up issues?

no problem, the relay model number is UE10-30S3DO and the retro reflective sensors model number is WL9-3P2430, all supplied via RS, i am running this with a Traco TCL060 -124 PSU

Im not a user of SICK gear but just looking up the details... on the sensor are both the power light (green) on and the reflective sensor light received (yellow) on constantly? http://www.sick-automation.ru/images/File/pdf/UE10-3OS Catalog Sheet.pdf Heres a link there's a connection plan on last pages just to double check your set-up but im struggling to get a operational detail ...usually k1 and or k2 on means closed and flashing or off means open. Have you got 24v between B1 an B2 (k1) and respectively b3 and b4 (k2)...................B1 and B3 been '24v' inputs B2 and B4 -'0v' ..... check relay is operational by disconnecting the light sensor and just supplying the terminal with required voltage. Im going on the wiring plan on the link above please double check its the correct one.

Last edited:
Im not a user of SICK gear but just looking up the details... on the sensor are both the power light (green) on and the reflective sensor light received (yellow) on constantly?

The power is a constant green but the yellow light is flashing when activated, at first i thought this may be due to a volt drop but the PNP output (black) is reading 24V DC

Check my last post for edit...but I would assume although I maybe wrong that the yellow light should be constant as its an indicator light is received ... check distance is acceptable, alignment is correct .... take the reflector off and bring it up to the emitter to see if this is where your problem lies. The yellow is flashing which in turn seems to flash your k1 and k2 lights ...your meter sample rate may not be quick enough to see this and just register steady voltage.

hi, yes this is what I assumed to be the case, I have put the reflector right up against the sensor and yet the problem still occurs?

Is there an adjustment on the sensor for setting up some models require on-site calibration this should be in the set up instructions supplied.

No, there is no adjustment at all on the sensors, I can clearly see that the IR beam is hitting the reflector and bouncing back but still the indicator flashes

Do you have the set-up instructions the adjustments are sometimes under a flap... if you have set-up instructions read through thoroughly, I recall many yrs ago doing a similar set-up and the flashing was an indication its alignment wasn't true although it reflected, im only throwing suggestions at you and hope im not learning you to suck eggs here.... if problem persists a call to Sick technical help will be best option Mon morning ...you be surprised how helpful these companies are. You can't always align these up by eye sometimes they can be a pain and the flashing light usually means it requires setting up.

Hi, yes I have read the instructions and there are no adjustments at all, maybe it is simply down to misalignment but I assumed that when the yellow indicator flashes that there would be something within the instructions to tell you what this is meant to indicate

Well not been familiar with that particular model I can no further help you assuming all is connected correctly... I would just have a chat with Tech and its probably a 5min solution but you have answered all my questions so it be one of those rare occasions I can no longer give you any further help without been there myself to check it out.. but you sound competent enough so goodluck.... ps let us know if you figure it out.. usually when im in this situe its a silly schoolboy error I missed lol

Check this out look at the set up pictorial it seems to suggest an adjustment on your emitter unit.

Attachments

• WL9-3P2430.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Yes, they are the same instructions I have in front of me, the model number I have is WL9 - 3, no adjustments at all, checked through the data sheet just to make sure, head scratcher and a half

Only other suggestion is your not getting IR saturation which can effect some devices ....in that you have put it where direct sunlight shines on the receiver this may cause it to go into safe mode... again ring tech for a quick answer.

Hi, after a lot of playing around today I have discovered that it was an alignment issue, these sensors are very tempremental, I suppose you pay for what you get, thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Cheers for the update ... and yes alignment can be a pain to set up on all models glad you sorted

Looks like Darkwood was on the nail. We've used quite a few Sick sensors in the past and they've proved pretty reliable once they're set up correctly. They can give alignment problems if you don't using the correct mounting brackets.

Reply to K1 and K2 Flashing - Sick Safety Relay in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock