Discuss Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LiamC1

DIY
Reaction score
I bought my house 11 months ago with no issues, after a few months everything metal in the kitchen starting giving me an electric shock when touched. After a few more months this stopped on its own, and has recently started again. We realised that it only happens when not wearing shoes, if that helps. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Wearing shoes or not you shouldn't be getting shocks from metalwork in your house! What are you getting shocks from? Sockets, switches, sink, taps, radiators?

Is it a short sharp 'zap' which may be static, or a longer 'tingle'?

Have you had any work done in the house recently?

Wearing shoes or not you shouldn't be getting shocks from metalwork in your house! What are you getting shocks from? Sockets, switches, sink, taps, radiators?
I get a shock whenever I touch my metal socket covers, the sides of the microwave, the toaster, the kettle, the metal front on my oven or any other appliance which I use which is metal. Not from my sink or taps or radiators though.

Is it a short sharp 'zap' which may be static, or a longer 'tingle'?

Have you had any work done in the house recently?
A long tingle for the whole time I touch it, and about 6 months ago I had someone out to fix my lights as all of the lights went in the house but it happened before this too.

A long tingle for the whole time I touch it, and about 6 months ago I had someone out to fix my lights as all of the lights went in the house but it happened before this too.

You need to get this checked out. Don't leave it another 6 months.

What was causing the lighting problem?

I get a shock whenever I touch my metal socket covers, the sides of the microwave, the toaster, the kettle, the metal front on my oven or any other appliance which I use which is metal. Not from my sink or taps or radiators though.
You need to check whether there is an earth path on your sockets. If your earth is faulty, the electrical filter of your washing machine, tumble dryer or maybe your microwave, allows a trickle of electricity through the exposed metalwork of the machines and other appliances, which will give an electric shock.

You need to check whether there is an earth path on your sockets. If your earth is faulty, the electrical filter of your washing machine, tumble dryer or maybe your microwave, allows a trickle of electricity through the exposed metalwork of the machines and other appliances, which will give an electric shock.
Get an electrician ASAP !!!!!!!

Is it a simple fix?

No way of knowing. Ffs get an electrician in soon . Sorry to be blunt. Proper electrician, not a friend who tinkers with stuff.

Sounds like you may have been without a proper earth for some time. All it takes now is for a live-to-earth fault to happen in an appliance and you may end up dead.

Last edited:
Most faults like this, Although they have the potential to be very dangerous (even fatal)

Are often a simple fix if you have the correct knowledge and equipment to test first, diagnose, fix, TEST AGAIN.
it could be as simple as a cable that is not connected, or broken.
a fault with the distributers supply to your house could also be the cause (they will fix that for free same day)

A professional electrician will tell you what the problem is and who/how it can be fixed and made safe.

depending on how your house is wired and plumbed, it MAY BE THE CASE that if you touch one of the items that is giving you a shock AND a radiator/sink etc. AT THE SAME TIME, especially with wet hands. THE SHOCK COULD BE A LOT WORSE. a couple of hundred people die in the uk from similar accidents in the uk each year.

No way of knowing. Ffs get an electrician in soon . Sorry to be blunt. Proper electrician, not a friend who tinkers with stuff.

Sounds like you may have been without a proper earth for some time. All it takes now is for a live-to-earth fault to happen in an appliance and you may end up dead.
Will do.

Most faults like this, Although they have the potential to be very dangerous (even fatal)

Are often a simple fix if you have the correct knowledge and equipment to test first, diagnose, fix, TEST AGAIN.
it could be as simple as a cable that is not connected, or broken.
a fault with the distributers supply to your house could also be the cause (they will fix that for free same day)

A professional electrician will tell you what the problem is and who/how it can be fixed and made safe.

depending on how your house is wired and plumbed, it MAY BE THE CASE that if you touch one of the items that is giving you a shock AND a radiator/sink etc. AT THE SAME TIME, especially with wet hands. THE SHOCK COULD BE A LOT WORSE. a couple of hundred people die in the uk from similar accidents in the uk each year.
I have had an electrician out to it but they couldn't see what the problem was as they were obviously wearing boots. Only thing I don't understand is why it happened months ago, and then stopped for a couple of months and has recently started again. What could cause it to stop for a while and then randomly start again..

If it's causing you to worry get an EICR done Electrical Installation Condition Report done. better safe than sorry.

Reply to Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock