Discuss Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I bought my house 11 months ago with no issues, after a few months everything metal in the kitchen starting giving me an electric shock when touched. After a few more months this stopped on its own, and has recently started again. We realised that it only happens when not wearing shoes, if that helps. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.
 
Wearing shoes or not you shouldn't be getting shocks from metalwork in your house! What are you getting shocks from? Sockets, switches, sink, taps, radiators?
I get a shock whenever I touch my metal socket covers, the sides of the microwave, the toaster, the kettle, the metal front on my oven or any other appliance which I use which is metal. Not from my sink or taps or radiators though.
 
Is it a short sharp 'zap' which may be static, or a longer 'tingle'?

Have you had any work done in the house recently?
A long tingle for the whole time I touch it, and about 6 months ago I had someone out to fix my lights as all of the lights went in the house but it happened before this too.
 

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
A long tingle for the whole time I touch it, and about 6 months ago I had someone out to fix my lights as all of the lights went in the house but it happened before this too.

You need to get this checked out. Don't leave it another 6 months.

What was causing the lighting problem?
 
I get a shock whenever I touch my metal socket covers, the sides of the microwave, the toaster, the kettle, the metal front on my oven or any other appliance which I use which is metal. Not from my sink or taps or radiators though.
You need to check whether there is an earth path on your sockets. If your earth is faulty, the electrical filter of your washing machine, tumble dryer or maybe your microwave, allows a trickle of electricity through the exposed metalwork of the machines and other appliances, which will give an electric shock.
 

Reply to Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Latest Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top