Discuss Keeping the body fit in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Being currently young and with limited aches and pains I am naturally worried about what a life time as an electrician will do to my back and other joints. From my perspective practical fitness and strength is much better than generic 'gains' for aesthetics.

So my question is, what exercises do you do in order to keep mobile? Especially any done at home.

Practice prevention of damage from early on to limit health problems in the future. Use all the PPE you should, don't skimp on decent knee pads and always use them, practice safe lifting procedure, let a power tool take the strain instead of you etc. It DOES make a difference.

I personally don't do much exercise apart from infrequent running.

Avoiding injuries is important, so as the other have said use appropriate PPE and work processes no matter what. And knee pads, they are your friends!

Time you are at it look after your throat as well.
It waited till I was retired untill it got me.

excercise is important. work up from lifting pints, then progress to litres.

Whatever the carpet fitters wear is what I wear......them boys is in they knees all day every day they know about this stuff ?

Whatever the carpet fitters wear is what I wear......them boys is in they knees all day every day they know about this stuff ?

I wear Snickers floorlayer pads.

More expensive, worth every penny and more.

The only advice I would give over the already mentioned is keep your weight at a healthy level. Your body works hard enough already.

I didn't find it much of an issue when I was young but it has become one now. :D

Currently on a diet and exercise regime... again...

You can get overalls that have knee-pad pockets to have them included with general work wear such as these:

The flame retardent / anti-static / high-viz might seem a bit OTT but it also covers you for most work environments and minor accidents.

Thanks all, will keep in mind. Any recommendations for Knee pads then?
I use blaklader foam ones only because I bought them with my blaklader trousers. They have held up well for years but I've heard good things about the snickers floorlayer ones

Definitely agree to look after your knees by always wearing knee pads in your trousers or ‘strap ons’ during the summer with shorts.
Wearing gloves can save getting micro abrasions leading to rougher hands than the wife would appreciate! and not mentioned is ear defenders for even the smallest of noisy jobs, get used to always having foams or proper ear defenders handy and you’ll again save the wife shouting at you more than she does now!
Seems all to be about improving your marriage - I guess keeping your knees in good order also helps when begging for forgiveness.
Eye protection for first fixing will save a ton of time in casualty having bits removed.
Having a 10 minute lie down after your sandwich will regenerate your spine for the afternoon, if you take a break that is!

So my question is, what exercises do you do in order to keep mobile? Especially any done at home.
Try to keep up a good level of general fitness. Strength is not too important for an electrician (unless pulling in large cables is your thing). Strength of mind is though (Stay away from the wacky baccy). Agility is a bonus but protecting yourself (general PPE) eyes, ears, nose, throat, knees etc will help in the long run.

Must admit that in the last couple of years, since I’ve started getting into the domestic sparking lark, my back has never been better and I’m in my mid 50’s. Spent too much time in my previous career driving a computer which caused no end of lower back issues. Some sort of regular exercise, like running, circuits will make a huge difference. You need to maintain core muscle strength to keep the joints good. I’ve always run into trouble when I go through a sustained period of no regular exercise. My new book on confined space loft Pilates is due out in September. ;)

Reply to Keeping the body fit in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock