Discuss Kewtech KT63 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimmymac

Hi all, i am thinking of getting a new tester and i have been looking at the Kewtech KT63, does anybody have one or have any experience of this model? I've never even used a Kewtech before, i used megger back when i was training and at the moment i've got a fluke

p.s it will only be for domestic, single phase

thanks

Hi Jimmymac

I use a couple of meters a Megger 1552 and a Robin KTS 62 which is the same as a Kewtech KT62.

I would suggest trying to use the KT63 before you buy it. It does look like it will carry out the functions that you require but it looks like it will be a 3 wire test for Loop PFC ZE and RCD testing.

IMO try and have the use of a few meters to find out which one you will be happy with after all you will use and rely on it alot .

So which meter do you prefer out of your 2? I'm happy with the fluke that i have but i just fancy something new, Kewtech seem to be all the rage lately

I prefer the Megger as the D lock on the KTS 62 does not work and on no trip loop it trips the RCD.

Also I prefer the 2 lead test on ZE PFC etc and the 1552 is good for 3 phase.

I only use the KTS 62 as a back up meter and its good for that.

Like I say try a few and if you are happy with Fluke stick with it.

I have been posting this note of caution for a while now:
I've had reports of Kewtech MFTs at my local college suffering seemingly random faults that all seem to related in some way to the rotary range selection switch. Their KT63, 64 and 65 MFTs have been going to and from Kewtech every couple of weeks for nearly 2 years to date, with numerous repairs and firmware upgrades, without a satisfactory solution to the problem so far.
I am told the first signs of trouble usually starts with the difficulty to null the leads in the normal manner, but if the range switch is jiggled the leads can be nulled, until even this becomes impossible. Once this behavior starts, keep an eye on the results on other ranges as random wild readings, terminated tests and odd display behavior often occurs.

Are you selling your old Fluke?
Which model is it?
I have fluke 1651s and need another......

Good to know markie, i might have to consider other options, thanks
Glad to be of help. I used to recommend Kewtech to apprentices looking for a first tester at a budget price, but since the unresolved issues I have been recommending the Di-log 9083P, which most find easy to use and reliable. For those with deeper pockets either the Megger MFT1552 or Fluke 1652 are excellent MFTs.

I've got the fluke 1651 and it's never let me down so i won't be selling it. I had a look at the di-log that you mentioned, it was on my 'maybe' list. I still haven't decided, i think i'm gonna wait a bit. They might bring something new out soon, only problem is they're all well over priced when they first come out

The KT63 is the latest mft in the Kewtech range, only launched at the begining of the month it was on the Kewtech stand at the Elex show in Harrogate last week. its so simple to use and the add on accessories make it a pleasure to use.

The KT63 is the latest mft in the Kewtech range, only launched at the begining of the month it was on the Kewtech stand at the Elex show in Harrogate last week. its so simple to use and the add on accessories make it a pleasure to use.

Did you have a play with it? When Kewtech first brought it to us to look at, it was incredible to believe that all of the functionality of an MFT could fit into a case so small.

For those of you old enough to remember it's similar to the size of a Sega Game Gear!!

I have been posting this note of caution for a while now:
I've had reports of Kewtech MFTs at my local college suffering seemingly random faults that all seem to related in some way to the rotary range selection switch. Their KT63, 64 and 65 MFTs have been going to and from Kewtech every couple of weeks for nearly 2 years to date, with numerous repairs and firmware upgrades, without a satisfactory solution to the problem so far.
I am told the first signs of trouble usually starts with the difficulty to null the leads in the normal manner, but if the range switch is jiggled the leads can be nulled, until even this becomes impossible. Once this behavior starts, keep an eye on the results on other ranges as random wild readings, terminated tests and odd display behavior often occurs.
yes Markie..and i asked em about this on the kewtech stand up at the recent elex show in harrogate....que blank expressions from the `product engineer` together with an "i dunno what you mean"...heard about this before on these MFTs though.....

mmmm, well mine (KT65) lasted about a year before the rotary switch started to go haywire, to their credit Kewtech repaired it, apparently dirt gets into it and alot of my work is dirty. I did suggest i put a clear plastic bag over it when using it in dirty environment but the guy said you should not need it. BTW although there was no recognition of a recurring fault, the guy managed easily to diagnose it over the phone and actually fixed the meter whilst i went for a coffee. I really like the meter TBH (apart from default on anti trip) its small and light and pretty quick and the readings i largely believe.

Well, the kewtech kt64 is bullet proof,the fluke meter was designed by mr rutters, who then moved to kewtech and designed the kt64, which designed the meter with feedback from sparkies, i am a Electrical and electronic Eng, turned sparky, due to the fall of Engineering in the u.k, making me interested in the best electrical meter, so in a work shop, everyone got their meters out, metrel, megger, fluke, seaward, kewtech and robin ( robin and metrel was from the college)the kewtech was the best, the reading was the same in the first,second and 3rd time testing the same ct, including other tests, everyone agreed in the class, alot of ppl from the four classes at the college (electrical) got a kewtech kt65 and 64, i have yet to hear from anyone with a complaint, just check it out, with the other meters, like they do at which? magazine ,lol hope it helps also two wire test as mentioned above is weak, look into it or try testing a 3wire and 2wire test side by side, judge for yourself

Hi all, I am new to this site and also electrical installations. I have bought a KT63 as was recommended to get one, but it seems slightly different from the Megga I have done some (very limited) training on. Does anyone have a really simple - idiots step by step guide to running all the tests using the KT63. Failing that, does anyone know anywhere I can get a days training on how to use the KT63 as I believe actually doing it and following instructions is better than reading it, all beit an idiots guide for someone like me.

Many thanks,

Chris

I have that, but being new to this did not fully understand it. What I need is either training in using it or an idiot step by step guide in conducting the test procedures.

If it's training in testing you need then you need to enrol on a course that will teach you such things. I think the city and guilds 2392 is aimed at beginners, and the 2394 and 2395 build on this to give you a full understanding of the testing you need to perform to conform with the regs.

What qualifications do you currently hold ?

Reply to Kewtech KT63 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock