Discuss Key switch into remote roller shutter system issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nad

Hi,

currently updating the studio entrance system. The roller shutter previously ran on a keyed switch. Standard 3 core in to 4 core out to motor.

An RC1000 unit has now been put in place, with the motor now being directly wired into this, as well as all other controls.

The problem I have now, is trying to wire the key switch in. It states it has a low voltage input for rocker or key switches but I am lost as to how this is now meant to be wired in properly.

I'm presuming power to key (but its 240v from fused spur), then key to control box but if it needs 4 core to box I can't see where it is earthing?

RC1000 manual is here: http://www.quantekshop.co.uk/RC1000_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Many thanks

Nad

From the instructions, its low voltage signal switching...Com 11 switching momentary between 10 and 12 to open and closed.
If dip switch 1 is on then you will need to hold keyswitch in open or closed positions until action is completed.
so standard roller shutter keyswitch will do, 1 pole 3 postion centre off

Hi,

sorry I should have pointed out that I know about where the wiring needs to go in regards to port 10,11 and 12. My query is how am I wiring up from here to the key switch. Previously it was wired up on its own, 3 core power to key to 4 core to motor with the live bridged. Am I now just running a 3 core cable from the remote unit to the key switch, and if so what needs bridging where etc?

Many thanks

Hi,

Thats what I had in mind but it was too simple for me to think it would work haha.
I will give it a go and report back.

Many thanks

The instructions were very clear and imo good, you have the choice of on shot timed closed/open or hold closed/open, selected by dip switches. What a grest control unit, could used remote, push buttons, keyswitch...endless possibilities

Good job there's no Dig in, Dig out and a bit of A in or A out (4-20 mA) all these controls does your head in lol

Well unfortunately my degree covered fluid thermodynamics rather than electrics. Whilst I have wired up a house before, I've never done switchgear. My apologies.

As per the regulations that cover all roller shutter doors, garage doors or automated gates (machinery directives MD2006/42/EC and BS‐EN13241‐1:2003) states that if no other safety features are incorporated into the system, such as photocell beams and also limitation of forces in respect to the amount of force the motor can produce if it hits an obstacle. Then the key switch used must be on that spins back to the off position when letting go of the key (hold to run) thus stopping the motor. Auto closure or opening with no safety is not compliant.

Hi,

Forgot to reply to this ages ago. The problem was that the unit was faulty, hence why nothing I was trying was working! Anyway, got a new unit and it wired up fine. It is being used with a photocell.

Reply to Key switch into remote roller shutter system issue in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net