Discuss killing an alarm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

esc

Hi guys, was going to post this on the relevant forum, but its private. . . . . .so
I have a job that needs the water, gas and CH bonding, no prob, but there's a mains powered alarm system (R5 series security alarm), thats all that's on it, it's a brown box about 15 x 15 inch, sorry didn't have camera either. Its fairly old, 10 yrs or so and although its powered up, its never used as such. Problem is, when i knock the power off the thing goes off, running off an internal battery i assume. Didn't dare take the cover off and have a look incase i set it off and cant shut it up. Any idea how to keep it quiet for a few hours while i bond the services?
Cheers.

a bit more info on the alarm would be good. probably needs a new battery

Hi guys, was going to post this on the relevant forum, but its private. . . . . .so
I have a job that needs the water, gas and CH bonding, no prob, but there's a mains powered alarm system (R5 series security alarm), thats all that's on it, it's a brown box about 15 x 15 inch, sorry didn't have camera either. Its fairly old, 10 yrs or so and although its powered up, its never used as such. Problem is, when i knock the power off the thing goes off, running off an internal battery i assume. Didn't dare take the cover off and have a look incase i set it off and cant shut it up. Any idea how to keep it quiet for a few hours while i bond the services?
Cheers.

does it go off inside or outside,is it the old a&g r5 with the keyswitch,id get the customer to go for a new one,sounds like the battery is duff,replace it and it may work,those panels are over 20yr old

Hi guys. It goes off when the mains are turned back on rubynick, which i didn't think it would. Don't think they're bothered about it so much telectrix, we just want to shut it up while we do the job.
Sorry alarmman, there's very little info on it, but it goes off inside (a bell next door to the unit) and an outside sounder.
Cheers

well if it's not required, disconnect it then.

Might opt for that tel, ive heard "not required" before and then: oh, can u just put that back on for us, which is usually ok, but for an alarm i or they know nothing about, how to reset it etc. . .!!

If you need to reset or reprogram an old alarm system, im sure that people on here can offer you what you need to know if you tell them the make/model etc.

What I've told you in a pm is a short solution. If you need to re-commission the alarm (and charge accordingly) that's another question.

if it's a key operated intruder alarm panel as big as you say, it's probably around 30 years old.

After reading your last pm to me, just disconnect as Tel says and move on. Don't think about re-commissioning it, get one of these guys above to do that.

Reply to killing an alarm in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock