Discuss Kinetic switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

In what sense do you think they are a potential headache/callback problem?

I'd rather not tempt fate, but I'm pretty happy with my decisions to use them.

I’ve had problems with kit like this pairing in the past and just randomly stopping working etc. You set it up, works and then packed up in 6 moths. Of it stops working when he neighbour uses their microwave.

Well, if you're talking about the WiFi versions, I would tend to agree with you, there is potential to be a pain. But for the basic switches, as I said... I'm happy with my decisions to use them.

Well, if you're talking about the WiFi versions, I would tend to agree with you, there is potential to be a pain. But for the basic switches, as I said... I'm happy with my decisions to use them.
So you’ve not had any call backs? My other concern is if the signal will pass through stone walls in old houses.

I've fitted quite a few, only once had to pair one again, some have been in for maybe 4 or 5 years, and so far no problems.
The only tricky thing is using dimmable modules on LED lighting...as ever, some combinations work, some don't. However, the straightforward installation and lack of switch-drops makes life very easy, and worth the extra outlay, imho.
[automerge]1596982594[/automerge]
The range is very good, and yes the signal does seem to find a way in most places. I don't know about old solid stone walls though. I had one in my garage which was integral to the house, and the walls were brick and block and the signal never failed.

I can't comment about stone walls, but unless my clients aren't calling me, all installations of them are still working just fine (some well over 12 months old).

I've tended to use them when running new cables would be a nightmare or we need to do things like change things so say two lights that are supplied by different sources can be switched together.

It would help if posters could state which brands of kinetic switch they are talking about, I'm sure there is a difference between the best known brands such as quinetic and the raft of unknown/unbranded stuff out there.

I recall MK making a big thing of their new wireless kinetic switch years ago but I don't think I've seen any sign of them since then.

Used the quinetic for 2 way switching in a 17th house where the walls are all original timber panels (Nelsons other mistress lived there allegedly) anyway loved em and had no problem and haven’t heard from the customer so assuming all good.....,I wish everyone would have em as I hate chasing walls in old houses ?

I tend to stick to brands I know and trust over price so although don’t use them a lot for me when required it’s always the quinetic ?

I guess we are getting to the stage of a vacuum cleaner being called a Hoover etc.
The ones I have fitted are the Quinetic brand.

My problem is most of the brands seem to be fairly unknown.

I’d be less sceptical if they had a Schneider or MK badge on the side of the box.

My problem is most of the brands seem to be fairly unknown.

I’d be less sceptical if they had a Schneider or MK badge on the side of the box.
True I’d like to see click scolmore as that’s my favourite brand but I assume quinetic have got the drop with regards the technology on the other manufacturers....

True I’d like to see click scolmore as that’s my favourite brand but I assume quinetic have got the drop with regards the technology on the other manufacturers....

I guess the big boys will sit back and see which brand wins the market share and then buy them over. Probably too small a market for them at present.

I guess the big boys will sit back and see which brand wins the market share and then buy them over. Probably too small a market for them at present.
It should be a bigger game changer than it is so far really, no mess and the switch wherever you like! I agree as you say once the technology is proven a bit more....

I believe the problem is that some folks are really happy with the tried and trusted, and they are not wrong to think that way. However, I also believe that we should embrace the new technology too. i used Quinetic in my home before I started recommending its use to others. The facts for me are that it works, and until we find a flaw, it's less destructive and much easier to install, so i'll continue to use it wherever I can. I've just been asked to advise on a renovation of an old stable, with 3' thick stone walls. Based on my experience with a similar building the "committee" have asked me to spec for the lighting and heating. I am going with LED panels, far infrared heating panels, all wiring installed behind a new plasterboard ceiling, and no switch drops on the nice stone walls. If it all goes pear-shaped in 10 years, there will be something better around, and if it lasts 10 years I will be quite happy anyway. I still occasionally use choc-bloc connectors if that is what the item is supplied with and the junctions are accessible, but those new-fangled Wagos are far better in almost all situations. It's right to be cautious, but a forum like this is a great way to share experience, and we can all learn from others. I certainly do, and some of the advice i have got on here has completely changed my views.
BTW, I still prefer hard-wired vs wireless for my computer/printer/peripherals/TV...but, where such is tricky, well the wireless option is perfect, so I use it. See what's out there, ask, and get stuck in! Oh, you want an extra light switch here? You don't want to disturb the decor or the lath and plaster? Well, there's this new thing...
No brainer, imho.

A mechanical, hard wired, switch has been doing the job since the early days of electrical installations, its tried and trusted.
Wireless switching of any kind is much newer and people are wary of its long term reliability.

Personally I am wary of installing any new technology that tries to replace a switch with something more complex.

That's not to say I don't like these all singing, all dancing, control systems. I have made a lot of money over the last few years removing all manner of lighting control systems and replacing them with normal switches or PIRs.

I hear what you say Davesparks, and you are virtually echoing my previous thoughts...but if you don't install stuff then you will never know. Me, I hate wireless stuff to switch on lights and heating from your phone...why bother? However, a light switch you can put anywhere, with no damage to decor? Surely worth a punt, especially as many on here have used them successfully for some years...that's how stuff gets recognised, either as good or bad. Maybe one day you will try a Quinetic switch because it's the easiest option, and you might be converted!
it may not be your daily bread and butter, indeed I'm sure it isn't, but it works. Maybe in a few years we will have failures aplenty...if so, there will be something else to try, and if not, well we can go back to the old ways...but frankly, I doubt that will happen. New projects will be relying on ease of installation, old buildings being renovated will be looking for minimum disruption. All I'm advocating is to have an open mind. I recently trialled the Linian clips for T&E, which were brilliant for the particular situation, and i also installed 12 downlights using the Quickwire switch and loop and splitters...it took no time at all, and while it is more expensive, it's cheaper than the labour cost in the end. That's good for the client, and for the installer too. less time on site means another job a day. Just my view, but I am someone who likes to try new stuff, so maybe I'm the target market? I just like going in, doing a job, going home....
We are mainly talking domestic/light industrial here...where heavy industrial is involved, maybe the old ways are better?

I hear what you say Davesparks, and you are virtually echoing my previous thoughts...but if you don't install stuff then you will never know.

Maybe one day you will try a Quinetic switch because it's the easiest option, and you might be converted!

For me it isn't worth the risk, if it fails in 2,3,5, 10 years time it will reflect very badly on me and could damage my reputation.

One day I will try them, it won't be for my regular customers though without a full discussion and agreement about what happens if it fails. It will probably be my usual test bed, also known as our office, workshop and warehouse.

Weirdly I have fully embraced the smart thermostat and have/had a nice little sideline as a nest pro installer. When I was single I was put 3/4 evenings a week installing nest thermostats for sensible money.

Reply to Kinetic switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock