• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Kitchen ceiling lights fire rating in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Kitchen ceiling lights fire rating F4CC6B17-39DB-4271-80DD-B5A7AED527F2 - EletriciansForums.net greetings :)
Was curious about the ceiling lights in the kitchen if they were fire rated or not.
Google was no help with model info.
There’s an F in a triangle symbol on the side, but I don’t know if that means anything.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Gary

Might have answered my own question!
Googled fire rating symbols and according to big brother, the lights are fire rated, suitable for mounting on normally flammable surfaces.
:)

That’s a good question. I fitted some recently and they were marked on the box and leaflet as fire rated but can’t see any relevant markings on the lamp fitting itself!

Think you’ll find an ‘F’ in a triangle means suitable for mounting on a flammable surface only.

A fire rated luminaire, as far as I’m aware, refers to its ability to resist the spread of a fire.
Agree. Perfect but you would have thought this fire rated ability would have its own mark!

Might have answered my own question!
Googled fire rating symbols and according to big brother, the lights are fire rated, suitable for mounting on normally flammable surfaces.
:)
Hi - apologies for repetition of what others have said - in its day I think the symbol means luminaire may be mounted on a flammable surface, say plywood. BUT that symbol says nothing about the luminaire’s fire rating. The lamp doesn’t look fire rated to me, just saying.

You would therefore think that a downlight would have BS476... on it somewhere.

fire rating may not be required. What is above the kitchen?
possibly not, but when we can get fire rated, insulation proof, IP65,integrated fittings with option of colour temp selection for under £15+VAT, why consider crap.

Here's a thought... What does 'Fire rating' actually mean - there is no symbol on the unit (say a downlight) describing the fire rated properties (perhaps the box is marked or sold as 'fire rated'). There is little [manufacturers] information about how long it's fire rated for, so installing in a single plasterboard ceiling I would expect some confirmation that it is at least 30 mins. Nothing, no info. Except perhaps the intumescent pad / seal / ring that comes with it. Is this pad the fire rating? - if so what is the spec of the pad? if fitted without the pad, or comes without a pad - is it still fire rated? More [manufacturers] info needed here or do we need wait for the subsequent board of enquiry to decide it was or wasn't really 'fire rated'.

Reply to Kitchen ceiling lights fire rating in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back