Discuss Kitchen extractor fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BeeDee

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a kitchen extractor fan i.e. rate of 60l/s.

We're almost finished renovating and we've just been told we have to have one (I know bit late in the day and I'm not happy but we are where we are). There are only a couple of spaces for one to be located and they are small max height of 220mm. So a lot of the 150mm are out as the facia is simply too big. Ideally I'd like a 100mm one as this would be significantly smaller and less noticeable (it'll be above the wall units hence the lack of space).

But I'm struggling to find any 100mm extractor fans that meet the required extraction rate. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Just to be clear; are you wanting to fit a wall mounted fan or hide an inline fan above the units?
I have considered boxing up an inline fan above the units, and I'm not ruling it out. I would line a 100mm wall mounted option for comparison.

So this is just for wall mounted options.

I have considered boxing up an inline fan above the units, and I'm not ruling it out. I would line a 100mm wall mounted option for comparison.

So this is just for wall mounted options.

I read your inital post a few times and couldn't quite grasp which you had intended. Wall mounted would certainly look better, but I can't think of any 100mm wall mounted fan that gets close to your requirement and inline will have an ugly duct.

If there's a hob or cooker in this kitchen, is there a reason for not having an extractor above it? That would be the best place to extract from and would also provide a more elegant solution with suitable rate of extraction.

I read your inital post a few times and couldn't quite grasp which you had intended. Wall mounted would certainly look better, but I can't think of any 100mm wall mounted fan that gets close to your requirement and inline will have an ugly duct.

If there's a hob or cooker in this kitchen, is there a reason for not having an extractor above it? That would be the best place to extract from and would also provide a more elegant solution with suitable rate of extraction.
There is a hob and we'd considered an extractor directly above it. I'd actually prefer this, it would look and function better. We've been told it would have to be a ducted extractor and whilst the joists above run in the correct direction for ducting, there are steel beams in each direction which would block it.

So our options now are window mounted (too ugly in my opinion) or wall mounted and the least noticeable place would be above the units. We are just fitting it to meet building regs, we probably will hardly ever use it - had extractor fans before and never really used them.

The inline boxing thing - I was thinking a whole in the wall with just a few inches of ducting to the inline extractor outlet. Similarly a few more inches of ducting from the inlet to whole in a box which encompasses the ducting, the fan and the whole in the wall. Obviously the box would be as small as possible, painted the same and the wall and units (white) and an nice grill on it. Then all anyone would see would be the box. Might look a bit neater.

Regarding the 100mm fans or lack thereof - thanks for the info saves me looking any further. I'll probably just get a 150mm wall mounted one with a small faceplate (after repeated measurements of the location it's going to go!)

Thanks

I refitted an en-suite in my last house, at the same time as doing an extension and some other stuff. The building control guy said I had to have an extractor fan in the en-suite, even though it was small and had an opening window. I argued that it was a refurb and hadn't had a fan before, but he insisted. Oddly, he didn't ask for a fan in the main bathroom which was re-fitted at the same time...
Before his final visit I glued a fan grille to the wall above the shower, he glanced into the en-suite and that was that.

I refitted an en-suite in my last house, at the same time as doing an extension and some other stuff. The building control guy said I had to have an extractor fan in the en-suite, even though it was small and had an opening window. I argued that it was a refurb and hadn't had a fan before, but he insisted. Oddly, he didn't ask for a fan in the main bathroom which was re-fitted at the same time...
Before his final visit I glued a fan grille to the wall above the shower, he glanced into the en-suite and that was that.
That thought had occurred to me 😄

BeeDee
You may have already discovered this, but thought I'd mention, the Xpelair VX150 simple wall fan seems to meet your requirement for 60l/s and size (just!)

BeeDee
You may have already discovered this, but thought I'd mention, the Xpelair VX150 simple wall fan seems to meet your requirement for 60l/s and size (just!)
I did see that thanks.

I opted for the 'Airflow Slimline Ecoair 6''/150mm Extractor Fan - Humidity & Timer' as it's a slightly smaller faceplate and humidity activation.

Reply to Kitchen extractor fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net