Discuss Kitchen fitters, well more sellers. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just got back from a work mates foreigner.

Received a panicked phone call from him that a 6mm cooker feed had no earth, indeed it did not.

A bit of chasing up the wall found a chock block in the old cooker point back box and the earth had popped out.

However, I asked the question what he was up to and he explained he was putting two double sockets on the 6mm for the hob, oven and convector/microwave.

Best of luck with that said I???

Feeling charitable I went through the ratings off all the cookers 8Kw, 3Kw & 1.1Kw = 52 A

Point 1, you intend to put a 13A plug on a 32A induction hob?

Point 2, you then intend to add a further 20A of ovens to a circuit protected by a 30A rewirable fuse.

Point 3, these sockets you've added, are they RCD protected?

At this point I did a Dragons Den, "I'm out"

But, the point is his mate, that he's doing the foreigner for is employed by a national kitchen supply and fitting chain who have "designed" this kitchen and its appliances.

The mind boggles.

The poor couple are looking at upwards of a £1000 of electrical work on top of their kitchen cost, with a kitchen half fitted.

Shiny suited sales shisters should be shot.☹☹

Splendid example of alliteration right there in the OP!

Incidentally, Tel, there's a new programme on TV where pork is auctioned by one of the Simpsons. It's called "Hams Under The Homer"
do i see a knotted rope dangling from the yardarm?

That much presumably as they need a CU change as well?
I reckon so, didn't want to get involved so only briefly looked over things.

Fuse board and cut out in a very cramped corner cupboard.

Rewirable fuse board, no RCDs anywhere, only 5 circuits but couldn't see any bonding, can't see it testing out fault free.

Then there's the modifications required in the kitchen.

Could easily see it topping a grand.

Trouble is most kitchen sellers don’t give a rats about the state of the existing wiring.
I used to sub by for a big kitchen firm and we were paid to put in x y z on a price per point and were simply expected to connect onto what ever was already there. I used to find 1mm used to extend cooler circuits on a 30a rewiring fuse and we were explicitly told to connect onto it otherwise we wouldn’t get out our money ...

Trouble is most kitchen sellers don’t give a rats about the state of the existing wiring.
I used to sub by for a big kitchen firm and we were paid to put in x y z on a price per point and were simply expected to connect onto what ever was already there. I used to find 1mm used to extend cooler circuits on a 30a rewiring fuse and we were explicitly told to connect onto it otherwise we wouldn’t get out our money ...
I’dve walked from that mate, sorry

I’dve walked from that mate, sorry
I did , but I know others who do dodgy stuff just to make sure they got paid

you were literally expected to connect on to what ever was already there

ridiculous really when you are paying 6 grand for new kitchen cupboards

I did , but I know others who do dodgy stuff just to make sure they got paid

you were literally expected to connect on to what ever was already there

ridiculous really when you are paying 6 grand for new kitchen cupboards
Good man, leave em to it and sleep easy I say ?

that's because the pratts have based their price on a quick bodge and don't want their profits eaten away by doing it right.

Reply to Kitchen fitters, well more sellers. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net