Discuss Kitchen fitters..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
No photo's as customer is already in dispute with kitchen fitter and was very strict about it!

I went to look at what would be involved to add a missing dishwasher point in a brand new kitchen.
House is TT. Kitchen is on a B16 radial. Hob and Cooker are on their own circuit. It's only sockets, boiler and missing dishwasher, so while not what I would have fitted, it's not an instant disaster.
Right, testing...
I found the end (to check there was a continuous cpc) and got over 3 ohms R1+R2. I then checked every connection I could find and it stayed the same. I even got the emergency Megger BR6 wheatstone bridge out of the van which is super accurate for continuity and still got the same (I was starting to seriously doubt my tester!).
Then I measured L-N PSCC and got 2.8 ohms / 82A which is getting close to not turning off instantaneously on a B16. I didn't calculate or notice volt drop, it occurred to me afterwards that this must be horrendous.

Next I took wander lead and both N and CPC are under an ohm end to end. So there must be an appalling joint on the L conductor hidden somewhere.

There's a new-ish Fusebox CU that was fitted by a guy I know so I rang him, the circuit in question was actually an immersion heater when the board was fitted. New boiler since. And no visible joint box in airing cupboard or sign of cable under the boards!

Circuit is disconnected at CU for now, and customer is going to hopefully find out from the kitchen fitter where the joint is....we'll see if they play ball. Otherwise I think this will be two new feeds and make it a ring.

No photo's as customer is already in dispute with kitchen fitter and was very strict about it!

I went to look at what would be involved to add a missing dishwasher point in a brand new kitchen.
House is TT. Kitchen is on a B16 radial. Hob and Cooker are on their own circuit. It's only sockets, boiler and missing dishwasher, so while not what I would have fitted, it's not an instant disaster.
Right, testing...
I found the end (to check there was a continuous cpc) and got over 3 ohms R1+R2. I then checked every connection I could find and it stayed the same. I even got the emergency Megger BR6 wheatstone bridge out of the van which is super accurate for continuity and still got the same (I was starting to seriously doubt my tester!).
Then I measured L-N PSCC and got 2.8 ohms / 82A which is getting close to not turning off instantaneously on a B16. I didn't calculate or notice volt drop, it occurred to me afterwards that this must be horrendous.

Next I took wander lead and both N and CPC are under an ohm end to end. So there must be an appalling joint on the L conductor hidden somewhere.

There's a new-ish Fusebox CU that was fitted by a guy I know so I rang him, the circuit in question was actually an immersion heater when the board was fitted. New boiler since. And no visible joint box in airing cupboard or sign of cable under the boards!

Circuit is disconnected at CU for now, and customer is going to hopefully find out from the kitchen fitter where the joint is....we'll see if they play ball. Otherwise I think this will be two new feeds and make it a ring.
Is this feeding a 20 amp switch to immersion heater.

Reply to Kitchen fitters..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net