Discuss Kitchen Mains Circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Blaggsta

I live in a dormer bungalow, we only have one ring main which supplies both upstairs and down. We are about to installing a new kitchen and initially got a quote from B&Q, the installer came round and said that B&Q will insist on making the kitchen into its own ring circuit (to secure the warranty). Part of me thinks this is unnecessary work but another other side thinks that its a good idea to break up the load.

My question is basically how necessary is installing this circuit. The only extra appliance we will be adding if a slim dishwasher ( I know the cooker with be on its own feed)

I have a smart meter, so went around turning everything on to see the power loading, and I felt it was close.

It is good design to put a kitchen socket circuit separate from the rest of the house, especially if their is only one existing circuit. I would advise you the same if I were quoting in that situation.

Thank for the reassurance Andy that it is not unnecessary work but good practice, and taking Bill's information into account then it is clear that it is the right thing to do as the total floor space of the house is 110-120 m2. Even though the kitchen would not quite reduce the Total Floor <100, at least the high loads would have their own circuit.

Thank you both again for the reassurance.

I would get other quotes for the work not just go with B&Q's quote, if you go along the route of getting a separate circuit.

Adding a separate circuit for the kitchen WOULD be a good idea .... what is your fuseboard like? How old is it?

I don't know the exact age but its using circuit breakers and was told it will not need changing from the B&Q installer.

Thank you also for confident reply that would be a good idea.

I would get other quotes for the work not just go with B&Q's quote, if you go along the route of getting a separate circuit.

I would second this. They are known for putting a fair whack on top of what the joiners/plumbers/electricians are charging to B&Q.

Yes we are getting others.

Good news. Make sure you get a certificate for the work once they have done the electrical work. Have you got to pay up front for the B&Q quote?

And just to stir the pot a bit more, based on what I see, often the fitter does the electrics..... and somebody may test at the end...

hopefully b&q have progressed for spurring a socket for a dishwasher off a socket with 0.75mm flex. as they did in my lady's installation of a kitchen.

Ok so you have an RCD, and space to add a MCB protected by the RCD - but that would mean a single trip of the RCD would kill all your sockets.

Are you planning on changing the lights/switches in the kitchen, say switching under cupboard lights by the door?

Are you planning on a new cooker or hob as they might need circuits too!

Good news. Make sure you get a certificate for the work once they have done the electrical work. Have you got to pay up front for the B&Q quote?

I will make sure I get the certificate, we never went for B&Q in the end I got the feeling everything was marked up too much! So just getting the kitchen elsewhere and finding someone to install it, the contractor we have asked first is the guy who was going to install it for B&Q, he said for small electrical work he would do himself i.e. moving sockets, but obviously we will now be installing a new ring so he will have to get the sparks to install it.

Ok so you have an RCD, and space to add a MCB protected by the RCD - but that would mean a single trip of the RCD would kill all your sockets.

Are you planning on changing the lights/switches in the kitchen, say switching under cupboard lights by the door?

Are you planning on a new cooker or hob as they might need circuits too!

We are getting an electric cooker not Hob though, and we are not adding any addition lighting like you described, just staying with the ceiling lighting.

I think i see what you mean with the one trip on the kitchen circuit would shut off the other ring circuit aswell??... because they are protected by the same RCD?

We are getting an electric cooker not Hob though, and we are not adding any addition lighting like you described, just staying with the ceiling lighting.

I think i see what you mean with the one trip on the kitchen circuit would shut off the other ring circuit aswell??... because they are protected by the same RCD?
yes.the solution here would be to fit a RCBO for kitchen sockets, fed from the right hand side of the CU.i.e. not through the existing RCD.

So you may need a new dedicated circuit for the cooker too

Reply to Kitchen Mains Circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net