Discuss Kitchen on a 20a Radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for your thoughts on this. Been to look at a job where there is existing kitchen wiring that needs moved about etc. Having looked at it, rather than extend cables etc im going to pull a new circuit in for the kitchen. Currently the DB has no RCD coverage, so im putting a new board in too. So, my question to you guys is, in the kitchen there is 2 double sockets to be installed at bench height and 3 singles sockets for washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer. I'm pulling new in anyway, but do you think a 20A 2.5mm radial will suffice? Or should i just go with a RFC? Just looking for your thoughts on this matter as i know some sparks are moving away from traditional RFC to radials.

If you are competent then you should be able to answer this yourself .
but I will try and help.
Washing machine on heating cycle + kettle will be pushing it. On a busy morning the 20A not big enougH. It does defrost the freezer though, so it’s not all bad.

32A circuit. Ring or 4mm radial, your choice.

this is a quick guide. Don’t forget you can use diversity too!

Hi all, just looking for your thoughts on this. Been to look at a job where there is existing kitchen wiring that needs moved about etc. Having looked at it, rather than extend cables etc im going to pull a new circuit in for the kitchen. Currently the DB has no RCD coverage, so im putting a new board in too. So, my question to you guys is, in the kitchen there is 2 double sockets to be installed at bench height and 3 singles sockets for washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer. I'm pulling new in anyway, but do you think a 20A 2.5mm radial will suffice? Or should i just go with a RFC? Just looking for your thoughts on this matter as i know some sparks are moving away from traditional RFC to radials.
32 A radial on 4mm2

If you are competent then you should be able to answer this yourself .
but I will try and help.
Washing machine on heating cycle + kettle will be pushing it. On a busy morning the 20A not big enougH. It does defrost the freezer though, so it’s not all bad.

32A circuit. Ring or 4mm radial, your choice.

this is a quick guide. Don’t forget you can use diversity too!
Yeah i was looking at that chart before
[automerge]1590335062[/automerge]
Maybe cutting it fine with the 20a radial. RFC it is then!

Remember if you have an appliance 2KW, or over the recommendations are to install it on a dedicated circuit. just saying.

I started to write my reply, but thought better of it, but along the lines of each on a separate radial in case of change in the future, and is four sockets enough, wheres the microwave and kettle plugged into?

Ah I mistakenly interpreted you OP as there where only going to be two double sockets, then there is always the telephone, television, radio and whatever is needed to be charged up at any time, and so it goes on, I don't think you can have too many sockets in a kitchen. :innocent:

Ah I mistakenly interpreted you OP as there where only going to be two double sockets, then there is always the telephone, television, radio and whatever is needed to be charged up at any time, and so it goes on, I don't think you can have too many sockets in a kitchen. :innocent:
[/QUOTE]
The whole downstair is currently on one ring. The kitchen and dining room are being made into one larger room. Im just using the existing wiring in what used to be the dining room for 2 bench top sockets there, and im running new in for where the washing machine, dishwasher and fridge freezer are going.

It means any appliance >2KW.
note that is guidance, not a regulation.

When I moved in to my house, the whole place was on one 32A RFC. Never tripped, but there are more separate circuits as the house has been refurbished.

It means any appliance >2KW.
note that is guidance, not a regulation.

When I moved in to my house, the whole place was on one 32A RFC. Never tripped, but there are more separate circuits as the house has been refurbished.
That's why I stated "it's a recommendation"

Reply to Kitchen on a 20a Radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net