Discuss Kitchen rewiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Taff107

-
DIY
Reaction score
Ladies and gents, being a bit clueless, I'm after some advice if possible.
Having recently purchased a new property, the removal of the kitchen suspended ceiling has revealed some horrendous wiring / plumbing that must have been done by a blind man. My intention is to get the kitchen (which is located in the ground floor of a 2 storey extension) rewired and re-plumbed. I then intend to cover it all up again with a drop ceiling and re-skim along with the the walls.
To keep cost down, I intend doing the majority of work myself (obviously not the ‘technical’ things-that-can-go-bang aspects!) such as chasing in the cables, fitting the boxes etc. Ideally, I would like a spark to do a first fix of just laying the cables loosely thereby allowing me time to run neatly around the ceiling / chase into the walls down to sockets etc and then coming back to check and connect it all up

Would an electrician mind doing the above or would they not be too happy about it? Secondly, when would you use conduit in a ceiling? If there is no danger of damaging the cables, is it sufficient to run and clip them neatly to the floor joists and then run them through channelling down to the sockets?

Any advice you can give is appreciated

cables must be drilled through the joists, >50mm from both floor and ceiling. holes should be between 0.25 and 0.4 of the span. i would suggest getting a spark to quote and ask how much work he is prepared to allow you to do.

Thanks for the reply.
As the drop ceiling I will be putting in is approx 12" below the bottom of the existing joists, I don't really need to drill through. I was going to run the cables along a 4x2 that traverses underneath the existing 6x2 joists. Would that be ok?
With regard to conduit, would there be any requirement to use it?

Thanks for the reply.
As the drop ceiling I will be putting in is approx 12" below the bottom of the existing joists, I don't really need to drill through. I was going to run the cables along a 4x2 that traverses underneath the existing 6x2 joists. Would that be ok?
With regard to conduit, would there be any requirement to use it?
sounds OK. the main requirement is that the cables are adequately supported and not in a position where they may be damaged by nails or screws. conduit is not necessary if using T/E cables.

Reply to Kitchen rewiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net