Discuss Kitchen sockets keep tripping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phil2203

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone has had a nice Christmas. At some point this morning the kitchen sockets tripped and its had me up the wall, literally.

It has happened in the past but I just flip the breaker back up and it's been fine. Not today. Flip it up, few seconds later it trips the downstairs rcd. Flip the kitchen fuse off then all power downstairs is fine.

I've had all the sockets off looking for damaged/loose wires but all seem sound.

Theres nothing unusual on the circuit, 4 sockets, fridge freezer, dishwasher etc...

I dont think its overloading, yesterday I had the microwave, steamer, kettle, extractor fan on all at the same time and was fine.

Any ideas guys???? Thanks

As above , unplug / disconnect absolutely everything from the circuit and chances are it will reset & hold in...

very rarely will a fault on the internal wiring develope out of the blue

Hi all, hope everyone has had a nice Christmas. At some point this morning the kitchen sockets tripped and its had me up the wall, literally.

It has happened in the past but I just flip the breaker back up and it's been fine. Not today. Flip it up, few seconds later it trips the downstairs rcd. Flip the kitchen fuse off then all power downstairs is fine.

I've had all the sockets off looking for damaged/loose wires but all seem sound.

Theres nothing unusual on the circuit, 4 sockets, fridge freezer, dishwasher etc...

I dont think its overloading, yesterday I had the microwave, steamer, kettle, extractor fan on all at the same time and was fine.

Any ideas guys???? Thanks
What is the device that is "tripping RCD or MCB "

Does it coincide with activity?

Pans/kettle boiling.

One thing I've seen is kettles/pans boiling then steam condensing, especially at this time of year on external walls, and running down tiles and into sockets and tripping RCDs.

Sounds like an appliance fault to me, likely getting worse over time. Only seen the odd occasion where a fault has developed on a circuit over time, usually from poor install (slightly damaged/ trapped cable etc...).

Are you 100% sure you fully disconnected everything on that circuit?

Does it coincide with activity?

Pans/kettle boiling.

One thing I've seen is kettles/pans boiling then steam condensing, especially at this time of year on external walls, and running down tiles and into sockets and tripping RCDs.
Nah not down to activity, it was all go yesterday and was fine. Boiled a kettle once today and it went off an hour or so later

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll take everything out tomorrow and see what happens.

It hasn't happened for a couple of months now, usually goes straight back on.

RCD. The downstairs circuits are all on the same rcd. Keeps tripping if I try to flip it up, turn the kitchen off and ilts fine
Something on your RFC is causing tripping try unplugging things and gradually turn them back on till the RCD trips ergo there is your problem

if appliances are on a FCU and the FCU is only single pole switcthing, could be a N-E fault on an appliance.

AFAIK all BS1363 FCUs are DP although that doesn't stop someone making up SP arrangements using grid parts.

Reply to Kitchen sockets keep tripping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net