Discuss Kitchen sockets MCB tripping - what could/could not be a cause? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

A DIYer here, not looking to fix this issue (as the house in question is hundreds of miles away...) but to try and help owner to narrow down possible causes. He has had a sparky in, but problem persists.

He has a kitchen in a flat-roofed extension. There is a 'reception' room in the same extension. His roof has been leaking, and water has come in through a ceiling light in the rec room, on the opposite end to the kitchen. He's having roofers out to sort this...

At the same time, tho', the MCB supplying only the kitchen sockets has started to trip. This is a B32 MCB and has just been replaced by the sparky, presumably to see if the MCB itself was the actual problem. It hasn't - it still trips seeming at random, sometimes during the day, other times at night. When the owner tries resetting the MCB, sometimes - usually - it remains on. He reports that he does notice a spark inside it when he does so...

I asked him to send me a pic of the CU, and that is shown below. I had been assuming that it was an RCD that was tripping due to the leak, but was surprised to be told it's a 32A breaker.

My questions, please, so he can be informed;

1) Will at 32A MCB generally only trip when the current load is exceeded? Ie when overloaded or due to a short?
2) If so, could the leak cause this? Would a leak actually cause a multi-amp short?
3) Any other thoughts?

I will tell him to turn off every appliance in the kitchen the next time it trips and then see if a 'spark' still occurs.

As far as I know, there's no visible signs of the leak in the kitchen, and certainly not at floor/worktop level where the sockets are positioned. He says the ceiling lights in the rec room are still working!

(PS, the CU was replaced a couple of years back. I'm surprised to see it has no RCD. Is this unusual?)

Many thanks for any guidance.
Kitchen sockets MCB tripping - what could/could not be a cause? IMG-20201030-WA0001 - EletriciansForums.net

Did the "Sparky" do any tests on the circuit?
Was it the Sparky that changed the 32amp RCD for an MCB, as it seems the odd one out.
It's almost certain the tripping is water related given the circumstances, but everything else needs eliminating.

The so called sparky should be shot for what he has done.By the looks of it,all of the circuits are RCBO protected.The sparks has removed the RCBO and replaced it with a MCB.
This is highly dangerous.
You have a bad short circuit somewhere,most probably caused initially by the water tripping the RCBO but now has progressed to blasting causing the MCB to trip.
They need to get someone who knows what they are doing.An insulation resistance test would highlight the problem,and then just a matter of time isolating the fault down.
If possible I would tell them to leave the circuit off and run some extension leads until the fault is found.
The water will have run along and down into something to cause this fault.
The sparky who came should also be reported as he's left them in a very dangerous position.

I bet the original socket breaker for the kitchen was an rcbo.
On this assumption, the spark has made the sockets potentially more dangerous.

Is he a real spark or someone from the pub?

There could possibly be a junction or joint buried somewhere in the kitchen that is full of water from the leak. The only way to find the problem is to carry out inspection and testing.

Were any appliances effected by the leak?

Thanks everyone.

Blimey - I didn't notice that the other MCBs were also RCD type! From what I've been told, that B32 MCB-only is an ADDITION to the board - the owner thinks the sparkly separated circuits and added that MCB. But, the owner is not really clued up so who knows.

Hadn't realised the original MCBs were RCD type - that explains such a lot. Yes, not good!

I'll get his postcode. It's in north-west London.

Thanks everyone.

The original's are RCBO's these are a combination of RCD and MCB so more sensitive, that's why the supposition is that it was replaced by the so called electrician with a MCB to prevent the tripping, urgent attention is required if water ingress is the culprit, water has a way of finding a route into any space sometimes rooms away from the actual leak point.

Replacing an rcbo with an mcb doesn’t make it “unsafe” just “less safe” than it was, and is against regulations.

Are you saying any sockets on an mcb are unsafe? What about on a rewirable fuse?

In this particular circumstance it shouldn’t have been done. known faulty circuit. Spark should have fixed it, not just rigged it so it would work.

Hi everyone.

A DIYer here, not looking to fix this issue (as the house in question is hundreds of miles away...) but to try and help owner to narrow down possible causes. He has had a sparky in, but problem persists.

He has a kitchen in a flat-roofed extension. There is a 'reception' room in the same extension. His roof has been leaking, and water has come in through a ceiling light in the rec room, on the opposite end to the kitchen. He's having roofers out to sort this...

At the same time, tho', the MCB supplying only the kitchen sockets has started to trip. This is a B32 MCB and has just been replaced by the sparky, presumably to see if the MCB itself was the actual problem. It hasn't - it still trips seeming at random, sometimes during the day, other times at night. When the owner tries resetting the MCB, sometimes - usually - it remains on. He reports that he does notice a spark inside it when he does so...

I asked him to send me a pic of the CU, and that is shown below. I had been assuming that it was an RCD that was tripping due to the leak, but was surprised to be told it's a 32A breaker.

My questions, please, so he can be informed;

1) Will at 32A MCB generally only trip when the current load is exceeded? Ie when overloaded or due to a short?
2) If so, could the leak cause this? Would a leak actually cause a multi-amp short?
3) Any other thoughts?

I will tell him to turn off every appliance in the kitchen the next time it trips and then see if a 'spark' still occurs.

As far as I know, there's no visible signs of the leak in the kitchen, and certainly not at floor/worktop level where the sockets are positioned. He says the ceiling lights in the rec room are still working!

(PS, the CU was replaced a couple of years back. I'm surprised to see it has no RCD. Is this unusual?)

Many thanks for any guidance.
View attachment 61790
Late to the post, so pretty much agree with everything else that's been said.

Just to answer your questions

1) Yes a breaker (unless faulty) will only trip when it's current rating is exceeded. How quickly it will trip depends on the amount of overload. A breaker of that type will usually trip instantaneously with a current of between 3-5 times the rating. So that is usually only caused by a direct short, or a faulty appliance that internally is shorted, or is shorting at a particular stage of a cycle, in the case of washing machine/tumble drier, etc.

It could also trip with a lower overload, that is constant for a period of time - that will vary and the time will be shorter the higher the load.

Given the cooker is on a different ciruit, it seems unlikely that there is an overload situation, unless he has several large hobs or appliances all running at once on that circuit.

2) Water in something would usually trip an RCD quickly (as already discussed that protection appears to have been removed here), but it could also be causing a short if a junction box or socket somewhere is filling up. If it then drained, it might reset for a while, so worth checking if the tripping has been happening after periods of rain.

3) as already mentioned, it needs investigation sooner rather than later as it may get to a stage where the breaker won't trip when it should...

Thanks again everyone for your considered replies (and Dartlec for the clear replies to my specific Qs).

My apologies everyone - situation was not quite as described above. Homeowner has just sent me a pic of the 'updated' CU - that previous photo was of it before they added a new MCB at the end and split the kitchen circuit to isolate the cause. Really sorry about that - the perils of 3rd-hand communication via WhatsApp. There was apparently a cable supplying a shed that was taken from the kitchen socket circuit, and the issue is there - that circuit has now been isolated and given its own MCB.

The sparky is coming back to run tests and trace where on the shed supply the actual fault lies.

Thanks all.

I hope so, L'il Spark.

Following what was said in many of the initial replies, I did suggest he checks that the sparky is registered...

Reply to Kitchen sockets MCB tripping - what could/could not be a cause? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock