Discuss Kitchen sockets not working except for cooker and dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Caz

hi all, we have a serious problem with our sockets. My partner turned on the kettle and it tripped the RCD, he unplugged it and turned the electricity back on but all sockets in the kitchen don't work anymore except for the cooker and dishwasher (electrician said they could be on a different ring). A new kitchen was fitted before we moved in so we don't know much about it, the house is a 2010 new built.

We got an electrician in and he said the wires in the sockets were a little loose, he tightened the screws and fixed something in the RCD then checked with his reader and everything seemed OK until we tried plugging the fridge only to realise that the problem is still there. They checked all the sockets and there was power (24.3 reading or something, I don't know) they checked the RCD again and said lounge sockets seem earthed but when you get to the kitchen the earth cuts of on both sides of the ring (there's earth between the sockets though). We don't know how and why but we're afraid we might have walls tempered with or something to find why the earthing disappears when you get to the kitchen. Any ideas of how this problem can be fixed, we'll be very grateful.

you will need to get your electrician back. he's obviously not fixed the problem.

He's supposed to come back today but haven't heard from him yet. The problem hasn't been fixed but I was wondering if anyone has come across this before or has some idea what the solution could be.

it's a problem that can only be resolved by thorough testing and inspection. could be a bad connection in a socket, a screw through a cable, kitchen fitters are the worst for drilling cables when fixing cabinets.

if you weren't so far away, id come round and make sure it was rectified properly.

They've sorted it. They checked the lounge sockets and one of them had two lives burnt out, they said it was loosely fitted and the wires touched, which caused the power to cut off to the rest of the sockets that followed. But we don't know why this one was still working though.

They'd just checked the kitchen sockets the first time and didn't think it had anything to do with the lounge sockets as they were all working and didn't connect on the same ring. That's what I got from them. Thanks anyway.

good to hear it's sorted. looks like maybe the kitchen and lounge sockets are on the same circuit. to identify, you could just plug a radio into each socket in turn and see which breaker turns them off. ( obviously us sparks would use more sophisticated means as long as it could not play radio 1. ).

They've sorted it. They checked the lounge sockets and one of them had two lives burnt out, they said it was loosely fitted and the wires touched, which caused the power to cut off to the rest of the sockets that followed. But we don't know why this one was still working though.

They'd just checked the kitchen sockets the first time and didn't think it had anything to do with the lounge sockets as they were all working and didn't connect on the same ring. That's what I got from them. Thanks anyway.

The live to that lounge socket could have been making contact with the outgoing not doing so making it live but others dead
Having said that,if your circuit is a ring final,even losing a connection at one point would not cause the rest of that circuit to fail,it would need 2 faults to cause that to happen,that is unless the continuity of the ring was not correct before the problem occured
I think you need a better explanation of the fault and the type of circuit that exists

Loose wires in at least two sockets. May be worth getting all your wiring checked out for piece of mind just in case the faults are a reflection of the standard of the whole installation.

Reply to Kitchen sockets not working except for cooker and dishwasher in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock