Discuss kitchen sockets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

damien1

how close can u put a socket to a kitchen sink in my mind i always thought that u couldnt have ur hand in the sink bowl and be able to touch a socket at the same time but ive seen loads of sockets very close to the sink where u can touch the socket while having ur hand in the bowl i know ur not supposed be able to plug like a kettle in that is possible to fall in the sink

I've always been told the same, keep it out of arms length. No regs on this matter but if it was a bathroom sink 701.512.3 would give you your answere. Same thing in my eyes, sink, tap, water and the 230v socket next to it? This should be looked at by the powers that be and get a bs code.

problem is , in a small kitchen it is not always possible to have all sockets at a sensible distance from the sink. think it's a grey area where common sense must prevail

Agree, it isn't possible in some large kitchens because people want everything to hand. I have my deep fat fryer in the corner out of the way but I could touch the socket if I wanted to. It's a good comment about the length of flex, that could get a bs code?

what if it's a wooden drainer?
How would the material the sink is made of affect the likelihood of a socket getting splashed? To answer your question it's 300mm whatever the draining board is made of - metal, wood, pottery, plasic... it's still a draining board.
I can't see how the Titanic sinking is any reason to disregard regs.

Building regs 300mm but common sense says don't if you can help it. It's up to us to design and install safe systems for house holders to use everyday. How big does a kitchen tap splash?

how close can u put a socket to a kitchen sink in my mind i always thought that u couldnt have ur hand in the sink bowl and be able to touch a socket at the same time but ive seen loads of sockets very close to the sink where u can touch the socket while having ur hand in the bowl i know ur not supposed be able to plug like a kettle in that is possible to fall in the sink

On Site Guide. Will tell all.
However as most kitchen these days are no bigger than the khazi, I guess that will soon have to be revised - especially with RCD protection.

So what about a fused spur feeding an instantanious water heater over a sink, used for hand washing etc.. would this need to be the unspoken 300mm, Zone 2, arms length...

thought nthe whole idea was not to be able to reach socket at the same time a the waterr in the sink. if splash is the reason why don't the regs stipulate IP66 closze to sink?

Reply to kitchen sockets in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock